Recomendation for Bluetooth 5 usb dongle

Got Bluetooth headset and mechanical keyboard for Christmas need a Bluetooth 5 dongle for them that plays well with fedora and has low latency. Looking for recommendations is anyone has any.

Thanks YouTubeZombie

Any experience with the Edimax BT-8500 Bluetooth 5.0? Looks to be linux compatible.

I myself use the TP-Link UB400 which isn’t what you’re looking for, but it works on my Dell XPS 13 (9370) laptop running Fedora 33, so I assume the one you want to buy will also work
And if it does not, you can always send it back and get your money back and look elsewhere :slight_smile: (I know this is “dumb” advice because it requires some extra hassle haha)
And the TP-Link UB400 doesn’t state on the website it supports Linux at all, but it simply does work on mine.

I hope this’ll help you on your way finding a Bluetooth dongle :smiley: !

1 Like

Thanks I might try that one since the EDIMAX shot up in price to $32 since I first looked at it for $16. The online shopping is really getting to be a scammers market. Price doubling over night?

1 Like

Ordered the TP-Link UB400 as it should work for $10.
Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

I hope it will work! Good on you! Apologies in advance if it doesn’t work for you! But I assume it’ll simply work! :smiley:
Let me know!

Works! Only gripe might be somewhat poor range.

Where do you have the dongle installed? I found out that if I put it in the back of my computer, it will generate static and signal interruptions, but these were gone entirely when I simply put it in front of the computer, and I mean the front panel of the computer case, on a laptop, I would recommend plugging it in the fastest USB port :smiley:

EDIT: The range on mine is ~5 meters before you lose a signal. It’s not a top model of course, more expensive Bluetooth range emitters can go up to 50 meters without signal interruption.

Plugged into top front of computer. For the price I cant complain. I think if I go for anything with more power it will be an internal AX200 card.

1 Like

Very good! Be mindful that when you buy an Intel AX200 card, that there exist two versions of this component, a “vPro” version and a “non vPro” version, the vPro version is more expensive but should give better performance, if there is a budget, just go for the cheaper one, but… they both have the latest things for the next years, which is Wifi-6 and Bluetooth 5.1, so you should be good to go! :smiley:

Ended up getting an EDUP PCIe WiFi 6 pcie Card, 3000Mbps 802.11AX Dual Band Wireless Bluetooth 5.1 Adapter with Magnetic Antenna Base. what an improvement.
The TP-Link UB400 was starting to cut out just sitting at my computer desk, Had me wondering if it was another Amazon counterfeit product.

The edup has range for my whole house.

2 Likes

I see yes! Well, if it works it works right? You’re basically paying for better range and performance and such when it comes to PCIe cards like the one you bought.

Since you did say “counterfeit” product… I do want to add that… the EDUP cars you bought is a mass produced product, and more versions exist of it, some with only a wired etherner port or three antennas. Again, TP-Link also sells a version with a magnetic antenna base that almost looks like the EDUP version: TP-Link Archer TX-3000E

But again, if it works it works!

For myself, in the future, I am considering buying the Avantree Orbit TC580 hooked up to the computer to a Creative soundcard with an optical cable, the range is 50 meters and it supports AptX so that means, non-stop music/movies without lag or interference and no cables :smiley:

I do really hope that the EDUP you bought does do what it needs to do for you :smiley: !

Man… all of the above sounded like a sales pitch :rofl:

Couldn’t be happier with the EDUP card. Bluez or whatever it is called on the other hand is a bit clunky to deal with switching between desktops or OS’es.

Guess I will need to look into the dual pairing on archwiki

1 Like