Rpm-ostree fails to finalize update (formerly Update again and again)

Potential solution to update of Silverblue (and others using rpm-ostree) not completing and result is rebooting into old commit perpetually.

1 Like

I suggest this be submitted as a proposed Common Issue. It’ll need to be spelled out here, though, in the proposal, but it’s come up often enough that it qualifies, IMO.

(Edited topic title since it impacts Kinoite, IoT, and FCOS, in addition to Silverblue)

Hi, thanks for proposing this. It would be useful if you could actually fill out the Common Issue template, as presented when creating a new topic. This needs to be readable and understandable for our users, not just a link somewhere. It’s also useful to add additional info for the Common Issues Triage team to understand what this is about. I was able to find this:
Cannot update silverblue (grub2-mkconfig error) · Issue #322 · fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker · GitHub
https://pagure.io/fedora-magazine-newsroom/issue/135

If I understand this correctly, it affects all/most Silverblue/Kinoite/IoT users and they need to do a manual action to resolve this. This definitely qualifies for a Common Issues entry.

There’s a Fedora Magazine article in the works, but I can’t access the draft version. We can either wait until it’s published and then take over the recommended steps, or write it separately. What is your preferred approach? Do you want to write it up or should our triage team do it?

1 Like

I don’t mind writing it up, but where is the template? Also, I am a Fedora Magazine editor, maybe I can edit the article, which one is it?

1 Like

I see, this topic was moved here, so you didn’t see the template. Try to create a new topic in Proposed Common Issues and you’ll see the template, then use it to edit your original post in the top, thanks.
The article draft was linked above, here it is:
https://pagure.io/fedora-magazine-newsroom/issue/135

1 Like

Done. There are a few bugs upstream covering this.

1 Like

That was my doing and thanks for making me aware of the template. Thank you both for moving this forward. It’s been a very common issue in topics here lately.

Let’s close this topic in favor of

1 Like