Rtl8818eu usb wifi detected but won't connect

Hi! I recently added a rtl8818eu usb wifi adapter an a new c2d build. This driver is shipped out of the box with fedora 34. And it was detected automatically by the gui. But when I type in the password for any network shown (only some are shown), it loads, gives an error and shows me the input boxes for password again. This goes on like a loop.

Please share your knowledge and help me get this working. Consider me as a fresher to Linux.

Ignore typos. Typed on the go

Please click on the pencil icon and correct it !

If you want to attract ppl, please include the problem in your title. Hi! I have an issue, is quite generalized.

What is the error message, exactly?

Network connection failed - activation of network connection failed.

This is GUI

Hi,

Could try this driver here:

It may be worth just try disabling random mac address, see the bottom of the readme.

Thanks Tom.

I did all that

So, the first thing I’d do is (if you can get connected another way!) is to upgrade to F35. The newer kernel and possible firmware updates might just fix the problem.

These docs are for RHEL 8:

but include some helpful instructions for debugging situations like this. It requires dropping to the command line and using nmcli, a tool which interacts with the same service as the GUI does, behind the scenes. Are you comfortable with that?

If so, in short:

sudo nmcli general logging level DEBUG domains WIFI

and enter your password, and then

journalctl -u NetworkManager -f

to follow the log, or

journalctl -u NetworkManager -b

to see all networking log messages since you last booted.

Sure Matthew,
Will try everything everyone says. I’m open to all.

I will first try the F35 upgrade. Is that okay?

Yep! It’s officially released this coming Tuesday 2021-11-02T14:00:00Z, but what you get if you follow the upgrade procedure now is exactly what will be released. You’ll need to follow the command-line process from:

Hi matthew,
Update: System upgraded to F35. In the settings application, the wifi option is invisible now, on opening it from search, No Wifi Adapter is found.

BTW this is from lsusb :

Bus 001 Device 015: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter

Hi,

is /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/80-wifi.conf still in place?

Thanks Tom.

Did you have the stand-alone driver built and installed before? You’ll need to update it for the new kernel…

Update: I dunno what happened this time. Left the pc on for a while and now the error before the upgrade still shows up. (Wifi adapter is now detected)

1 Like

Let’s see what the debug logs say…

Hey Tom,
I couldn’t find a file with that name there. So answer would be ‘no’, I guess.