Second external monitor?

I have two monitors, but since I installed Fedora 36, I have not been able to get both to work together. I have tried switching monitors & cables, and each work fine. They both worked on another laptop running Windows with the same USB-C_to_HDMI adapter (Belkin AVC002). I have verified the adapter works with another laptop at work.

Here is some hardware info…

[kgrahamjr@fedora36 etc]$ neofetch --off
kgrahamjr@fedora36

Host: HP Laptop 15-dy2xxx
Kernel: 5.18.13-200.fc36.x86_64
Uptime: 4 days, 22 hours, 27 mins
Packages: 1948 (rpm), 15 (flatpak)
Shell: bash 5.1.16
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: GNOME 42.3.1
WM: Mutter
WM Theme: Adwaita
Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Terminal: gnome-terminal
CPU: 11th Gen Intel i7-1165G7 (8) @ 4.700GHz
GPU: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]
Memory: 6137MiB / 15545MiB

[kgrahamjr@fedora36 etc]$ neofetch --off
kgrahamjr@fedora36

Host: HP Laptop 15-dy2xxx
Kernel: 5.18.13-200.fc36.x86_64
Uptime: 4 days, 22 hours, 27 mins
Packages: 1948 (rpm), 15 (flatpak)
Shell: bash 5.1.16
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: GNOME 42.3.1
WM: Mutter
WM Theme: Adwaita
Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Terminal: gnome-terminal
CPU: 11th Gen Intel i7-1165G7 (8) @ 4.700GHz
GPU: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]
Memory: 6137MiB / 15545MiB

[kgrahamjr@fedora36 etc]$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 043: ID 1fd2:b002 Melfas LGDisplay Incell Touch
Bus 001 Device 044: ID 2109:0100 VIA Labs, Inc. USB-C multiport device
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 30c9:0013 Luxvisions Innotech Limited HP TrueVision HD Camera
Bus 001 Device 030: ID 047f:02f7 Plantronics, Inc. Plantronics BT600
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:b00e Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Bluetooth Radio
Bus 001 Device 029: ID 046d:c534 Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
[kgrahamjr@fedora36 etc]$

[kgrahamjr@fedora36 etc]$ xrandr --listmonitors
Monitors: 1
0: +*XWAYLAND81 1920/530x1080/300+0+0 XWAYLAND81
[kgrahamjr@fedora36 etc]$

I am not sure what other commands or logs would help.

This is not an NVIDIA drivers issue, since I have Intel video, but I suspect either a driver issue, or I just need to tell Fedora that there is a monitor added. Not sure how or what to do next. I am not having luck with g**gle searches. :frowning:

Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Kirk!

I suspect that this laptop does not support DisplayPort Alternate Mode over USB-C (which later is changed to HDMI in your adapter). Support for video output over USB-C is indicated next to the port by a DisplayPort logo (P inside D) or a lightning without any USB symbols - in case of a Thunderbolt 3 port. You can have multiple USB-C ports, with different capabilities, in one device.
It may look like these: USB-C Laptop Port Symbols (Different Meanings) | Kensington
No worries, with USB 4 (basically Thunderbolt 3) we’ve got even more versions and icons…

1 Like

Okay, so if I have just a Trident USB-C mark, then it won’t do video?

Might there be an alternate solution to get the 2nd monitor? Like one of those multiport USB_C hubs with dual HDMI etc?

With this adapter - nope.

Those multiport hubs require DP Alt Mode or Thunderbolt 3 source port. You can try using different adapter, that serves as USB-A GPU with HDMI output. The problem is those may not be supported by linux, may use more CPU and offer inferior performance and quality (video encoding glitches, low FPS). There might be some USB-C models like those, their description should state working on any USB 3.0 port or NOT requiring DP Alt Mode or TB3 port.

Laptops with more feature-full USB-C ports (Power Delivery, DP, etc.) are generally more expensive and it’s not tied to certain CPU/GPU. It depends on USB controller used and the way ports are connected to it.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your informative answer. I guess my issue isn’t with Linux, but with the capabilities of my USB-C. I went for a basic laptop and don’t need much. I’m more than happy with just 1920x1080. I’d like two monitors, but I guess I’m stuck with one. C’est la vie! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome. If you verify that the other laptops have USB-C with DP, mark my answer as a solution.

The good news is that devices with USB-C DP are not that more expensive as devices with proprietary docking station ports used to be. I’ve played with some capable Ryzen devices with decent pricing. Next time pay attention to specs or device pictures to make sure it’s DP capable.
DisplayPort, USB-C included, supports daisy chaining, where display (connected through a DP cable and with DP out port) can pass on the video signal to another monitor. Basically picture for two screens go through one cable. This technology is used also in USB-C hubs with multiple HDMI/DP ports.

1 Like

Posting the exact model of your laptop and the part of the kernel log (dmesg -w or journalctl -kf) right after you plug in your USB-C adapter would help to determine if the issue is with your laptop or with your adapter. I have a Dell laptop with a similar CPU and it has two USB-C ports, each capable of outputting video using USB-C DP alt mode. It also comes with a HDMI port.