Skanlite can't find my scanner

When using skanlite, it keeps erroring out that it can’t find any scanner device, even when hplip is installed. On Kubuntu it used to work immediately so I would like to know how to properly configure it on Fedora.
The device is a printer/scanner combo from HP (HP deskjet 2050J).

What caused the most frustration is that:
sudo sane-find-scanner finds my scanner, but scanimage -L still finds nothing.

Hello,
I have a HP Envy 5032 and also had problems the normal procedure did not work to use my scanner.
Normal installation packages were:

hplip
sane
sane-backends

The solution for me was the additional packages:

gutenprint
libsane-hpaio

"libsane-hpaio "is apparently an urgently needed package so that skanlite or simple-scan can find the scanner and communicate with them.

I have also installed these packages in my case:

hplip-gui
sane-backends-drivers-scanners

I hope I could help.

I agree.
libsane-hpaio is needed to enable sane to access an HP MFP printer if the user intends to use the scanner.
It is also mandatory that the user use either ‘hp-setup’ from the command line or the hplip gui to configure the printer and install the proprietary plugin from HP that allows use of the scanner.
The plugin can be installed separately from configuring the printer (in case the user skipped that step) with the command ‘hp-plugin’ or similarly with an option within the gui.

Also note that the plugin does not get updated when hplip is updated so after an update of hplip on the system the user needs to manually update the plugin to match the hplip version.

I will try as soon as I can and report back.
Edit: This actually works! I installed libsane-hpaio and I already have

hplip
gutenprint
sane
sane-backends-drivers-scanners
sane-backends

It works without the HP plugin somehow (I ran the command that installs the plugin but kept being stuck at 0%). Thanks for the help!