Sound not working in F35, where can I download F34

Hello,

I am always happy to upgrade to the latest Fedora version, but this time it’s not a success. My audio is working the first minutes after a fresh start, but then crashes and no more audio input / output devices available.

Normally I would investigate a little and try to fix it, but this time I just don’t have the time for that… need to work on my projects and need the audio to work fine.

So I would like to go back to F34, but I can’t find the official download link for the iso. Can somebody help me with that? Downloaded an iso, but then mediawriter complains about it not being a good version… so I also don’t want to download a compromised one.

Thanks for any help!!

Worth trying this before looking to revert to F34:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F35_bugs#No_sound_after_upgrade

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion Ankur. Did actually try that already, but it doesn’t help.

In my case the audio does work after a fresh reboot, but then after a short while crashes and it’s gone till the next reboot.

1 Like

That’s unfortunate. It could be pipewire related then. Can you check that your system is up to date? pipewire and the related tools are under heavy development so stuff keeps being updated quite often.

If it is, you can probably just go back to pulseaudio and that should fix your audio for a start:

sudo dnf swap --allowerasing pipewire-pulseaudio pulseaudio

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DefaultPipeWire#Upgrade.2Fcompatibility_impact

Before you do so, though, it’ll be good to see your logs about the crash, just so we can perhaps file a bug at least?

systemctl --user status pipewire wireplumber.service

should tell us what’s going on. It’s probably one of these crashing for some reason, and restarting them should get audio back (until the next crash :/)

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate that.

I have run the command, and both services are actually active… so maybe it is not the audio subsystem that is crashing as I thought… but something else going on making both audio input and output devices unavailable (in audio settings there are non listed and in the upper right menu the audio volume bar is also gone)

Result of the command:

● pipewire.service - PipeWire Multimedia Service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire.service.d
             └─00-uresourced.conf
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2021-11-11 08:57:51 CET; 2h 14min ago
TriggeredBy: ● pipewire.socket
   Main PID: 1859 (pipewire)
      Tasks: 2 (limit: 9079)
     Memory: 6.1M
        CPU: 144ms
     CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/session.slice/pipewire.service
             └─1859 /usr/bin/pipewire

Nov 11 08:57:51 pc-124.home systemd[1576]: Started PipeWire Multimedia Service.
● wireplumber.service - Multimedia Service Session Manager
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/wireplumber.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2021-11-11 08:57:51 CET; 2h 14min ago
   Main PID: 1860 (wireplumber)
      Tasks: 4 (limit: 9079)
     Memory: 7.5M
        CPU: 282ms
     CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/session.slice/wireplumber.service
             └─1860 /usr/bin/wireplumber

Is your installation a clean installation or was it an update?

georgespk/kernel-backport

1 Like

It is a clean installation. Did it twice already, because I thought the issue might have occurred after installing some packages, but it isn’t. Clean installation causes it.

Ok, back to your question then:
Home - MirrorManager

Choose version and closest mirror to download (use links on right side).

Did you try with the Workstation edition or do you use a spin?

To investigate farther please make use of the live image to test your hardware bevore installing a new version.

what about swapping to revert to pulseaudio? No luck there?

(I prefer to swap out one component rather than revert the whole OS if at all possible)

Looks like this solved my problem!! :smiley:

Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

So it is indeed something related to pipewire.

If you can look at your logs and see if there are any errors there we can see if the issue is known. if not, it’ll be good to file a bug so that the devs can fix it.

Does gnome-abrt or coredumpctl note the crash, for example?

Nope, they both have 0 reported crashes or errors.

I have no idea what the issue is, but I am more than happy with the provided solution by ankurinsha, so hopefully it can help other people with the same problem as well! :smiley:

1 Like