Steam not working on Fedora 31 with Nvidia

I installed steam and nvidia driver from repo.

⭕ dnf repolist
copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:chenxiaolong:bumblebee Copr repo for bumblebee owned by chenxiaolo     14
*fedora                                               Fedora 31 - x86_64                          56,252
*fedora-modular                                       Fedora Modular 31 - x86_64                     142
*rpmfusion-free                                       RPM Fusion for Fedora 31 - Free                588
*rpmfusion-free-updates                               RPM Fusion for Fedora 31 - Free - Updates       10
*rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver                      RPM Fusion for Fedora 31 - Nonfree - NVIDIA     15
*rpmfusion-nonfree-steam                              RPM Fusion for Fedora 31 - Nonfree - Steam       1
*updates                                              Fedora 31 - x86_64 - Updates                 3,380
*updates-modular                                      Fedora Modular 31 - x86_64 - Updates           141
  • Some steam games such as “Tomb Raider” need nvidia driver to work. and “optirun %command%” in game’s attribution was works before upgrade to F31. But now all failed.
  • some games such as “Team Fortress 2” can run under Intel card but no work with optirun.
  • All gog games can be run with “optirun”.

The table below is my test:

command card fps
glxspheres64 Intel 60
primusrun glxspheres64 Nvidia 60
optirun -b primus glxspheres64 Nvidia 60
vblank_mode=0 primusrun glxspheres64 Nvidia 115
optirun glxspheres64 Nvidia 173
optirun -b virtualgl glxspheres64 Nvidia 175
optirun -b auto glxspheres64 Nvidia 175

glxspheres64 mention:

1. OpenGL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
  2. OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

⭕ optirun steam steam://rungameid/440
Running Steam on fedora 31 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Pins up-to-date!
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1572467527)
[VGL] ERROR: Could not load GLX/OpenGL functions
[VGL]    /usr/lib/VirtualGL/libvglfaker.so: undefined symbol: glXGetProcAddressARB
[2019-11-06 16:12:34] Startup - updater built Oct 30 2019 20:05:18

All “optirun -b xxxx steam steam://yyy” also failed.

Hi @eexpss Welcome to the forum.

Maybe this issue is related with the bug in VirtualGL (it was reported for Fedora 30 but is still open):

(bug is open) → 1706766 – VirtualGL

(Github said that it is a problem in fedora Package) → VirtualGL stopped working after Fedora 29 to 30 upgrade · Issue #102 · VirtualGL/virtualgl · GitHub

(Package)—>https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/VirtualGL/

I am not sure if it is really related but maybe should be good comment in the open bug this that you commented in your post if you consider opportune.

Regards

1 Like

Thanks for reply.

I had installed the VirtualGL-2.6.3.x86_64.rpm and VirtualGL-2.6.3.i386.rpm from VirtualGL | DeveloperInfo / Pre-Release Builds/Continuous Integration. Some things look better, but not enough to make the game work. Maybe it has something to do with steam’s library also.

[VGL] ERROR: VirtualGL attempted to load the real
[VGL]   glXCreatePbuffer function and got the fake one instead.
[VGL]   Something is terribly wrong.  Aborting before chaos ensues.

I will give up this problem temporarily and wait for the system and the steam to be repaired and updated.

1 Like

Yes good decision!!.

Look this post about steam and virtualGL the post is from 1 year ago. (like your log)

Regards.

Thanks @xtym

“Specify the order of LD_PRELOAD”, this can be trouble and unconventional.

Because last time I installed the official library (2.6.3), there were some other problems and seems made system or some software unstable, so I didn’t want to use this abnormal method.

The problem is related only to “steam” and “VirtualGL”, and the “steam” comes from rpmfusion.org, maybe this question should be referred to the maintainer. But I can not found a way to report this.

Also I had searched the forum of steamcommunity.com, it seems that no one has met or paid attention to this. No Fedora (only referred to F30/F31) user play steam’s 3D games? :frowning:

1 Like