Stuck in emergency-mode

Hello, something happened that caused my laptop to no longer boot normally into Fedora.

Instead, after loading a short amount of time, I’m presented with a terminal-looking screen and the prompt:
You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type “journalctl -xb” to view system logs, “systemctl reboot” to reboot, “systemctl default” or “exit” to boot into default mode.
Give root password for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue):

The prompt is slightly different than it was before, as a result of following this guide as a potential solution (specifically steps 5-6 I think).

I’m not sure if I made a mistake, but supplying the new password did not unlock emergency-mode.
Typing Control-D only resets the same prompt – no change.

I have a bootable USB of Fedora-29, but am unsure of what to do with it to fix this problem.

Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Try check file system .

1- add this to boot “rd.break=pre-mount”

2- check file system ,example :
(First run “blkid” to list partitions )

fsck -f /dev/mapper/fedora-home

fsck -f /dev/mapper/fedora-root

fsck -f /dev/sda2

3- run “exit”

Thank you for your response.

I entered the boot, added the statement “rd.break=pre-mount”, and proceeded.

Presented with the bash, I ran “blkid” and found 5 different partitions:
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3
/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost–live-root
/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost–live-swap

I ran “fsck -f” for all of these and accepted the corrections it offered for two problems:
/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost–liveroot/ had incorrect “Free blocks count” and “Free inodes count”.

And /dev/sda2/ reported:
Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly mounted and some data may be corrupt.
1) Remove dirty bit
2) No action

For this I entered “1” and then performed the changed “y”.
After fsck was done, I simply ran “exit”.

After “exit”, the console gave me these errors:
[FAILED] Failed to start File System Check on /dev/mapper/fedora_localhost–live-home.
[DEPEND] Dependancy failed for /home.
[DEPEND] Dependancy failed for Local File Systems.
[DEPEND] Dependancy failed for Mark the need to relabel after boot.

The console then returned to the original “You are in emergency mode.” prompt.

not from live system

The recommended way to check file system:

2 Likes

I apologize for such a late reply.

To the best of my memory, I solved my problem with the following:

1. I re-followed the guide I originally linked in the OP, and changed the root password. However I avoided the last step of exiting the maintenance environment.
  2. While in the same environment, I then re-followed Youssef Sourani’s solution to the OP, and fs-checked all of my partitions. If I saw it, it got fs-checked.
  3. lastly, I exited and rebooted.

This time it worked, and I’m not entirely sure why, (compared to my previous attempts).

In a previous attempt, I followed Vladislav Grigoryev’s advice in the post above and added fsck.mode=force to the boot parameter, although I don’t remember seeing this parameter again on my later successful attempt.

Thank you to all who provided help, I greatly appreciate it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.