Stuttering Keyboard on Wayland

I have a strange problem with Visual Studio Code but also other Electron-based applications under Wayland. When typing with a keyboard one would expect for the cursor to display the printed key and then wait for the next one to be typed. Instead, when I type a character the cursor moves backwards, then forward, then it displays the character and then it waits for the new one. It exhibits a similar behaviour when pressing the arrow keys to move the cursor to another position. I had the same issue with Fedora 35 and I tried both a USB and a wireless keyboard. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions?

1 Like

Yes I am having the issue and I asked in the discord a few weeks ago and somebody else had it. It does seem to be only electron apps under wayland and it is super annoying. The person in discord switched to X and it went away.

Maybe we should file a bug report? I’m just not sure what to file it under.

1 Like

If it only happens under wayland then that seems the proper target for the bug report.

I tried to record a video of this with the screenshot tool, but the recording does not show the behavior even though it occurred while recording.

I opened the bug report: 2089432 – Cursor jumping and hiding letters while typing in Electron apps under Wayland

1 Like

I’m still experiencing this on F39 with proprietary nvidia drivers. It doesn’t always happen and it’s not consistent on all electron apps. Disabling hardware acceleration fixes all my issues though. Offending apps in my case are Slack, Discord and VSCode.