SwapOnZRAM test day

The Workstation Working Group has proposed a change for Fedora 33 to use swap on zram. This would put swap space on a compressed RAM drive instead of a disk partition.
The QA team is organizing a test day on Monday, July 06, 2020.
Refer to the wiki page for links to the test cases and materials you’ll need to participate.

Test days are a great way to contribute to Fedora. The tasks are fairly simple to perform, on virtual machines or on bare metal. If you have questions or you find issues, there is a also dedicated channel on IRC.

4 Likes

Noob comment – I have an old machine, and no RAM drives or SSDs. Will future versions of Fedora keep the option of having swap on HDDs ?

Hi njaimo,
you will always be able to create swapspace on harddrives during install (or later).

1 Like

Btw zram is a (compressed) ram space reserved to swap, instead of using an hard drive area. I mean, it doesn’t need an additional hardware. And yes, you can continue to configure and use the swap on the hard disk.

1 Like

Many thanks for the replies/info.

In case you want to know more about it, here is a bit of documentation:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/vm/zswap.txt

In your case, especially when you don’t have an SSD (for fast swapping) and you need to swap space, ZRAM can heavily improve performance…

Thank you Florian. Sorry for the delay, I’m in the middle of a move, and with limited access to internet at the moment. I will look into it.

2 Likes