The way dates are displayed is confusing

Here is how it is currently set. I’m not sure exactly why, or for that matter in what order these are applied. (The format strings are documented here.)

05b49ea7b94488de04450f56b9cef3ddcf54f185.png

2 Likes

I think that making it be Aug 2021 vs Aug 25 would resolve the basic problem noted. If someone figures out how to do that let me know. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I you sure that applies to those dates?

That looks like the settings for plugins. :thinking:

replacing 'YY with YYYY to get the full year

@augenauf

I’ve applied @ilikelinux research thx for that but need some tweaks in your $USER preferences don’t mentioned in the original TOPIC which I’ve described below:

[Aug '2021] → references to first post

5e05ab376f09b39a09993160e168be0630833988.png

[Aug 25] → references to the next post

93934fda3f147ed618e91e955d824faebf8c5e89.png

cc: @mattdm

Tweaks

Under your $USER preferences, please Select

Profile → Region → United State

Warning

if we are in multi-region, please ping me to change it in at least the most usual Region, for example es, it, uk, de, ch

Notes - Workaround

if you’ve had an intermitent mixed of dates (YY) and (YYYY) clean your cokkies and cache only for this site

Regards.,

1 Like

Shouldn’t the ' have been dropped as well?

Instead of Aug '2021, Aug 2021

2 Likes

I’m not quite sure about it but I’d rather leave it as the system defaults…

Isn’t the ' used to indicate a 2 digit year? It seems even more strange to me this way.

1 Like
  1. @dalto Is a kind of separator althought I don’t know what dark science with HTML or CSS is behind that apostrophe
  2. another thing, @mattdm would you like to apply the same on discussion.fp.org???

Regards.,

1 Like

Thanks @hhlp to helping out with this format issue.

As I see in the instructions it seams to be java-script or at least definition for variables in java-script.
It also contains some html, example MMM D, 'YY <br/>LT (see js.dates.long_date_with_year_with_linebreak)

You just have to be careful that you not brake the html while missforming a html-tag.
It seams that this happened now. Normally it is possible to click on replies views and activityto sort the topics. Now the hover link is broken.
You can check on https://meta.discourse.org/ while click on latest and hover over the rows “replies views & activity”

Please verify if you replace 'YY with YYYY and let everyting else in tact. It could also be that the ' now makes trouble because of being obsolete. Spaces in and around html tags are quite inportant too.

If you copy and paste, you have to be aware that here in discourse we use html. If you copy and paste formatted text for example, you get unwanted characters when coping direct.

Instructions about what to replace:
Show post Year? - #3 by DeanMarkTaylor - feature - Discourse Meta

search for 'YY which will list:
js.dates.tiny.date_year
MMM 'YY

js.dates.medium.date_year
MMM D, 'YY

js.dates.long_date_with_year
MMM D, 'YY LT

js.dates.long_date_with_year_without_time
MMM D, 'YY

js.dates.long_date_with_year_with_linebreak
MMM D, 'YY <br/>LT

Edit and adjust those replacing 'YY with YYYY to get the full year.```
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/latest

Screenshot from 2022-10-20 22-25-38

Please see mouse pointer on both screens (link replies):

https://meta.discourse.org/latest

c86c49bddc4385e4f54c458b6291be016bfc1bb3.png

I do use this function regularly to sort and see if there are unanswered questions.

Would be great if this is available again.

1. I don’t know @ilikelinux, this behaviour is a consecuence by enabling this discourse-calendar plug-in in the site:

by this reason:

when sorting by start event date is enabled, then sorting by other means should be disabled.

This is the comment in discourse:

1. I think we need ask to @mattdm about this, Do we realy need this plug-ins enabled by default?

2. What will be the consecuent to disable it?, in reason to usability or continuing disabling

3. Is this functionality like discourse meta does, really necesary on the site?

WDYT???

Conclusion

the fix is in

Regards.,

Nope, we can turn it off. I was experimenting with it – it has some neat features, like staff being able to mark themselves on vacation. But it is very rudimentary.

RIght now, we are using it over on the other site for updates to the Council meetings and to announcing Fedora Social Hour times and dates. But we could do that a different way.

1 Like

we can do the same with this plug-ins and are more with this rich plug-in:

of course we’re on hosting so no plug-ins installation available, but take in count when we will merging both sites… so IMHO, this is the right plug-in to do the task you mentioned before and more.

Regards.,

1 Like

The Events plugin is weird – it is a whole site thing, which doesn’t really fit our needs. There is a third-party one, but it is from a separate small company which has a whole suite called “Pavilion”, and it seems kind of invasive and not necessarily going to keep working with future versions of Discourse.

there is a fix on the way of the discourse-calendar as my comment before, let’s wait until the next discourse update

Regards.,

2 Likes

@ilikelinux

Is fixed now you can click on it…

Regards.,

2 Likes

Thanks a lot …

Just for the record, @dalto is correct about this – the ’ in '02 is specifically indicating that the year is abbreviated from 2002; with the four-digit year the apostrophe doesn’t belong there. I’m not saying it’s a crisis or anything, but it is entirely “incorrect” in terms of commonly-understood rules for date formatting.

(See, for example, the right-hand “timeline” of this very discussion, which (before I post this) runs from “Sep 2022” to “Oct 2022” – no apostrophes in sight. The individual posts, though, show “Oct '2022” which is nonsense. Mostly Harmless nonsense, but nonsense all the same.)1

Citation: Here’s the branding guide for Arizona State University (as good a source as any) being very prescriptive on not only how to abbreviate years, but which apostrophe to use when doing so.

(Specifically: the U+2019 RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK (aka the curly single close-quote), not the U+2018 LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK (curly single open-quote) that they claim MS Word will insert by default unless corrected.)

…But a straight-up-and-down ASCII 0x27 apostrophe is usually Just Fine™ as well.

Notes

1. When the year 12022, rolls around, then '2022 will be a valid representation of that year. But for the next 9999 years, it’s nonsense.
2 Likes

Yeah — @hhlp fixed this on Discussion and I’ve echoed that fix here.

2 Likes