Tlp-sleep service start failed, fedora 30, thinkpad t480

Hi, I’ve faced the problem that tlp-sleep service start started failing. I’ve got fedora 30, last updates, running on ThinkPad t480 with i5-8350. Aug 2 there was no problem, It starts showing since Aug 6. Here is
output of:

journalctl -r -u tlp-sleep"

Aug 19 12:50:18 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start TLP suspend/resume.
Aug 19 12:50:18 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: tlp-sleep.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Aug 19 12:50:18 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: tlp-sleep.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 19 12:50:18 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting TLP suspend/resume…

any suggestions on what direction should I look to debug the problems, thanks!

Welcome to Ask Fedora! Check out #start-here get acquainted with the server.

Three things I want to touch on:

• Do you remember doing anything around the time when this started failing? An upgrade or similar? If an upgrade, could you post the list of changed packages? You can use dnf history list to find the relevant transaction and dnf history info TRANSACTION-ID to show the changes.
  • Are you sure that’s all the journalctl output? Seems like it failed with absolutely no output… Does systemctl status tlp-sleep say anything more interesting?
  • This isn’t directly related, but a journalctl tip: if you’re just using -r to see the most recent / relevant logs, usually you can install use -b (which shows logs only for the current boot) and/or -e (start at the bottom of the logs where the most recent entries are) instead. I’ve personally found it easier to read than -r’s reversed output!
3 Likes

thanks! you solved my problem :two_hearts:
the issue started showing after tlp package update

Upgrade  tlp-1.2.2-1.fc30.noarch                          @updates
Upgraded tlp-1.2.1-1.fc30.noarch                          @@System

downgrade fixed the problem.

actually, it showed the same info

thanks for a tip

1 Like

In this case, could you file a bug report?

1 Like

sure, thanks for link
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1744154

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.