Too Many System Updates + Restart

F36 is doing system updates that require restart every couple days and sometimes every day since installing it a month ago (from Ubuntu 22.04). I don’t know which component it is (kernel, gnome, etc.). (not letting me post screenshot for some reason: “Sorry an error has occurred”)
EDIT: I’m getting these updates via Gnome Software.

It looks like the Kernel is being updated every few days, but I’m not sure that this is the only cause.
Reddit is saying to not update via Gnome Software. Use “dnf offline-upgrade download” then “dnf offline-upgrade reboot” and run this far less frequently.

1 Like

You could use dnf-automatic instead or disable offline updates. But it is better to use offline updates for maximum stability.

I do not recommend delaying updates or doing it manually, I recommend dnf-automatic instead

2 Likes

You can turn off updates in gnome software then just run sudo dnf upgrade --refresh whenever you choose to.If you don’t want to reboot everyday once a week should be ok to update.

1 Like

Hey! It’s Fedora Linux! :smiley:
If you don’t want to update so frequently, disable the autoupdate feature on GNOME Software. In this way you stop the notification.
Then update the system at your own pace, using GNOME Software or dnf on the command line.
Please take into account that updates often contains security bugfixes, so take a look what packages need to be updated.

1 Like

To avoid security problems caused by not upgrading, automatic updates can be good.

The packagekit-offline-update service that does the update when shutting down can and has caused problems by forcing the user to wait until the update is completed before powering off. I just tested on a new install of fedora 36 (VM) and the automatic update done that way took 5 minutes before the VM would power down.

IMHO this provides a super large potential for the user to interrupt the update during shutdown and trashing their system (especially with a laptop).

1 Like