Touchpad settings revert and lock after sleep

Hi, I am using the latest, up to date Fedora on a Dell inpseron 7415 (AMD ryzen 5). Most things work well enough, but there seems to be a bug with the touchpad. If the computer goes to sleep, the touchpad reverts to the settings from when I first installed fedora. I can change them in Gnome settings, but it doesn’t change the behavior unless I restart, or reload the driver (i2c_hid). This is really annoying, because thing thing has a giant touchpad, and tap to click becomes enabled after it sleeps and I cant turn it off. Anyone know if this is a bug, or just a configuration issue? I am not a power user here, so any advice helps.
Thanks for reading-

Hi,

Go to cd ~/.config/dconf/. On there you can find file named user. Delete it rm user.

After that “Logout” your session and “Login” again. It will reset your current Gnome setting (You’ll also will find Gnome tour again). Go to Gnome Setting it should by default disable the “tap on click” of your touchpad.

1 Like

Hey,

thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn’t too clear in my first post. I can change the settings at any time, but it doesn’t change the behavior of the touchpad after the computer has been asleap. Something about sleep reverts it to touch to click and turns off two finer scrolling. Once that happens, I can change the settings but it makes no difference. When I restart the computer and log in, the touchpad works properly with whatever settings I have set until it sleeps. I did try what you said, and it gives me the same behavior - works after logging back in, but not after sleep.

You said it’s work after reload the driver i2c_hd. If this is what happened, you could create script to reload and run it when wake up after suspend with custom systemd service. Unfortunately I forget how to do that. You could search on internet.

Yes, unfortunately that is a little complicated because I had to also remove other drivers to do it, and don’t really know what I am doing. I have been trying to just develop the habit of turning the computer off when I am not using it, but… It seems like a bug, so I was hoping to find a solution and wasn’t sure if I should report it.

1 Like

Last suggestion, you could install gnome-tweak and set disable touchpad when typing on keyboard & mouse setting.

Well, thanks for trying, but it seems that gnome-tweaks is suffering from the same problems as the usual settings. Once the computer has been sleeping, changing the settings there has no effect until I restart.

Those issues you are having definitely should be reported as a bug against gnome since the version of gnome (41) on fedora 35 is new and still has not totally had the kinks ironed out.

I am not sure it is a Gnome issue. I get the same behavior with KDE. This is interesting because the default there is that tap to click is disabled and and two finger scrolling is on. After sleep, those settings reverse and changing them in the settings does nothing. Could it be a driver issue?

To reload the driver are you doing something like?

sudo modprobe -r i2c_hid && sudo modprobe i2c_hid

modprobe -r could also be rmmod

You may want to take a look at:

or for using a script:

I believe this is what @oprizal was referring to

Well, I should have taken notes when I did it! When I try to remove it, I get “modprobe: FATAL: Module i2c_hid is in use.” The time I was successful I had to remove another one too, but I can’t remember the name, and don’t remember how I figured it out! I think the other driver I removed was for the touchscreen, but I could be wrong. Do you know how I can list them/ find out what other driver is using this one? I hadn’t found those links you sent, so thanks for that. I will try that workaround if I can figure out the other module that needs to be removed.

lsmod | grep <module you're looking for>
The output columns are: Module, Size, and Used by

or

modinfo --field depends <module you're looking for>

for example:

grumpey@grumpey0:~%➜ lsmod | grep uas
uas                    32768  0
usb_storage            81920  1 uas
grumpey@grumpey0:~%➜ modinfo --field depends uas 
usb-storage
grumpey@grumpey0:~%➜ sudo modprobe -r uas && sudo modprobe -r usb_storage 
[sudo] password for grumpey: