TP-LINK AC 600 (Archer T2U Plus) USB-wifi adapter (dongle)

Hi everybody,
I just bought this USB-wifi adapter for my desktop PC to use in a house where no wired connection is available, but unfortunately it doesn’t work in Fedora (I still run 31) out of the box.
On the original site Windows and Macintosh OS are only mentioned, of course…
After long googling, this is a ‘probable’ Linux driver for the Realtek RTL8812AU chipset. I have downloaded and unzipped it, but now what am I supposed to do with it?
I am no nerd, so please help me along. Or am I expected to return it to Amazon asap?
Thank you so much

2 Likes

Hi @adel2020 and welcome to the community. When you have some time, please take a look at the #start-here category, which contains useful info on using the forum’s features.

Did you have a look at this thread (and the HowTo linked therein)?
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/usb-internet-dongle-with-chipset-rtl8812au-not-working-in-fedora-32/77428

1 Like

thanks, @lcts
I had missed that thread.
Now I just followed the HowTo, but as I have no idea (very little experience on such things…) which branch to choose, I have replaced the specific branch with the command suggested by @grumpey on Jan 1, that is,
git clone https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au.git
but the final output is:

bash: ./dkms-install.sh: File o directory non esistente

which means the expected file/directory does not exist.
So I am at a loss, perhaps a detailed guide will help me through?

Did you run that command from within the rtl8812au directory? Because that file really should be in there:

ce@kat ~/src/rtl8812au % pwd  # which directory you're in
/home/ce/src/rtl8812au
ce@kat ~/src/rtl8812au % ls # directory content
android  dkms.conf        dkms-remove.sh  hal      Kconfig  Makefile  platform   ReleaseNotes.pdf
core     dkms-install.sh  docs            include  LICENSE  os_dep    README.md  tools

The . in sudo ./dkms-install.sh is shorthand for current directory, so the file will only be found if you’re in that directory.

As for the branches, you should choose the one that matches your kernel. Fedora is currently using the 5.7 branch (you can get that by running uname or by checking the version of the kernel package), so that would mean the v5.7.0 branch (Let’s hope that 5.7.0 also works on 5.7.N …).

So, follow the guide until after you cd into the directory created by git clone ..., then run

git checkout v5.7.0
sudo ./dkms-install.sh
2 Likes

Thanks, @lcts
that was very stupid of me… I should have known that the command must run in the new directory!
I actually did it, the branch was 5.6.4.1. (oops) and the last lines in the terminal are:

8XXau.ko.xz:
Running module version sanity check.

• Original module
    • No original module exists within this kernel
  • Installation
    • Installing to /lib/modules/5.7.9-100.fc31.x86_64/extra/
      Adding any weak-modules

depmod…

DKMS: install completed.
Finished running dkms install steps.

Now I think it is better to close the session and start anew, than check if it works now.
Otherwise, I delete the installed driver, then rerun the process choosing this time the 5.7.0 branch, if I have got it.

1 Like

well, after I entered a new session, I find TP-Link works pretty well.
Of course, it is not so fast as via cable (hardwired), but I only need it for mail and internet surfing, so I am really satisfied.
Actually, the installed driver does not match kernel in use, but I would prefer not to change it, lest it breaks down somehow (or do I go wrong with that?). When I switch to kernel 5.8, I can consider updating driver too, provided a new one is available.
Many many thanks for helping me out, I swear I will inform other colleagues about what I have learned on this site, including info about the site linux-hardware.org which I did not know beforehand and I think it is very useful (specially after you HW-probed your linuxbox).
See you round…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.