Trouble installing proprietary nvidia driver

I am trying to install the proprietary NVidia drivers (using this guide: Installing Nvidia Drivers on Fedora 34) because there is screen tearing when I play minecraft, davinci resolve gpu settings are messed up, and I can’t select the right refresh rate for my monitor without my monitor flashing rapidly.

I am following this guide and everything is going smoothly until I get this error when Installing kmod-nvidia and xorg-x11-nvidia-cuda

Fedora 36 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 48 kB/s |  18 kB     00:00    
Fedora 36 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                                                                                                                                1.6 MB/s | 2.3 MB     00:01    
Fedora Modular 36 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                                                                                                                         78 kB/s |  18 kB     00:00    
Package kmod-nvidia-3:510.68.02-2.fc36.x86_64 is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.

Problem: package kmod-nvidia-3:515.57-1.fc36.x86_64 requires akmod-nvidia = 3:515.57-1.fc36, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package akmod-nvidia-3:515.57-1.fc36.x86_64 requires nvidia-kmod-common >= 3:515.57, but none of the providers can be installed
  - cannot install the best candidate for the job
  - package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-3:515.57-1.fc36.x86_64 is filtered out by modular filtering
============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                                          Architecture                                               Version                                                              Repository                                                                           Size
============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
Skipping packages with broken dependencies:
 akmod-nvidia                                                     x86_64                                                     3:515.57-1.fc36                                                      rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver                                                      27 k
 kmod-nvidia                                                      x86_64                                                     3:515.57-1.fc36                                                      rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver                                                      11 k

Transaction Summary
Skip  2 Packages

Nothing to do.
Complete!
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:02 ago on Wed 06 Jul 2022 04:02:24 PM EDT.
All matches were filtered out by modular filtering for argument: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda
Error: Unable to find a match: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda

Kind of related, but (other than this problem) I am loving fedora.

With fedora do not install kmod-nvidia

First check what has already been installed. dnf list installed *nvidia*. If that shows kmod-nvidia is installed then remove it using dnf remove kmod-nvidia. If the nvidia packages are already installed then you can use either dnf reinstall *nvidia* or dnf upgrade *nvidia*
Your error shows that kmod-nvidia 510 is installed and you are trying to install kmod-nvidia (though you did not show the actual command)

If the nvidia drivers are already installed then they can be completely removed with dnf remove *nvidia*.

You can do a new install from the rpmfusion repo with a simple dnf install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda and it will pull in all the needed packages.
Once akmod-nvidia is installed then it will automatically build and install the kmod-nvidia for you.

2 Likes

I did the dnf remove kmod-nvidia command and it removed it (along with its dependancies) successfully.

When I did sudo dnf upgrade *nvidia* It gave me a similar error

[croldfish@fedora ~]$ sudo dnf upgrade *nvidia*
Last metadata expiration check: 0:04:13 ago on Wed 06 Jul 2022 09:34:45 PM EDT.
Dependencies resolved.

Problem 1: package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-power-3:515.57-1.fc36.x86_64 requires xorg-x11-drv-nvidia(x86-64) = 3:515.57, but none of the providers can be installed
  - cannot install the best update candidate for package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-power-3:510.68.02-2.fc36.x86_64
  - package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-3:515.57-1.fc36.x86_64 is filtered out by modular filtering
 Problem 2: package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-power-3:510.68.02-2.fc36.x86_64 requires xorg-x11-drv-nvidia(x86-64) = 3:510.68.02, but none of the providers can be installed
  - problem with installed package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-power-3:510.68.02-2.fc36.x86_64
  - package nvidia-driver-3:515.43.04-1.fc35.x86_64 conflicts with xorg-x11-drv-nvidia provided by xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-3:510.68.02-2.fc36.x86_64
  - package nvidia-driver-3:515.43.04-1.fc35.x86_64 obsoletes xorg-x11-drv-nvidia provided by xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-3:510.68.02-2.fc36.x86_64
  - package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-power-3:515.57-1.fc36.x86_64 requires xorg-x11-drv-nvidia(x86-64) = 3:515.57, but none of the providers can be installed
  - cannot install the best update candidate for package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-3:510.68.02-2.fc36.x86_64
  - package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-3:510.68.02-1.fc36.x86_64 is filtered out by modular filtering

DNF can’t find xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda

croldfish@fedora ~]$ sudo dnf install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda
Last metadata expiration check: 0:01:19 ago on Wed 06 Jul 2022 09:34:45 PM EDT.
All matches were filtered out by modular filtering for argument: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda

And just to be sure, I should remove kmod-nvidia-5.18.9-200.fc36.x86_64.x86_64 right? or should I leave it?

dnf list installed *nvidia*
Installed Packages
kmod-nvidia-5.18.9-200.fc36.x86_64.x86_64                                                 3:510.68.02-2.fc36                                                  @@commandline                   
nvidia-modprobe.x86_64                                                                    3:510.68.02-1.fc36                                                  @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver
nvidia-settings.x86_64                                                                    3:510.68.02-1.fc36                                                  @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia.x86_64                                                                3:510.68.02-2.fc36                                                  @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-libs.x86_64                                                      3:515.57-1.fc36                                                     @rpmfusion-nonfree-updates      
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686                                                             3:510.68.02-2.fc36                                                  @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64                                                           3:510.68.02-2.fc36                                                  @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-power.x86_64                                                          3:510.68.02-2.fc36                                                  @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver
  1. I did the dnf remove kmod-nvidia command and it removed it (along with its dependancies) successfully.

2. When I did sudo dnf upgrade *nvidia* It gave me a similar error

1. DNF can’t find xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda
croldfish@fedora ~]$ sudo dnf install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda
Last metadata expiration check: 0:01:19 ago on Wed 06 Jul 2022 09:34:45 PM EDT.
  1. And just to be sure, I should remove kmod-nvidia-5.18.9-200.fc36.x86_64.x86_64 right? or should I leave it?

(if you noticed that I deleted another post, It was basically the exact same thing as this one, only I didn’t reply to you and I just replied to the whole discussion (i think))

Quick question, if I reply to this discussion, will everyone that replied to it see my post?

1 Like

What modules do you have enabled on your system?

The definitive guide to installing Nvidia drivers is this one from RPM Fusion. All other guides pick bits from here:

https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA

I remember folks using the repos from Nvidia for CUDA etc., and these enable some modules that filter out packages from RPM Fusion. So the first thing to do is to see what modules you have enabled on your system:

sudo dnf module list --enabled
sudo dnf module list --enabled                                                                                                                                                              0 (0.652s) < 11:21:39
Last metadata expiration check: 0:03:26 ago on Thu 07 Jul 2022 11:18:28 AM EDT.

I have no modules enabled

1 Like

With the last post of the output from dnf list installed *nvidia* it fails to show the akmod-nvidia package.
In order to get everything back in sync I suggest dnf remove *nvidia* followed by dnf install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda. If that install fails then just use dnf install akmod-nvidia as we may have to make sure the ‘rpmfusion-nonfree’ repo is enabled to install cuda, and do that as an additional step.

EDIT.
After looking at your list of installed packages again I see that you have both the rpmfusion-nonfree and rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver repos in use. That is likely the cause of the errors, and I would strongly suggest that you disable the rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver repo while doing the reinstall I suggested above. Modify the install command to read dnf --disablerepo rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda and it should properly install everything synced.

To semi-permanently disable that repo and avoid future conflicts it can be done with dnf config-manager --disable rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver (it can be selectively enabled when needed later if you wish)

2 Likes

Hrm, that’s odd. What does dnf module list say? (should list all modules even if they aren’t enabled).

I’d be very surprised if the two RPM Fusion repos conflict. Worth checking and reporting to RPM Fusion if this is the case.

I couldn’t remove nvidia related things

╰─λ dnf list installed *nvidia*                                                             0 (42.000s) < 17:42:47
Error: No matching Packages to list
╭─croldfish at fedora in ⌁
╰─λ dnf remove *nvidia*                                                                      1 (0.282s) < 17:43:16
Error: This command has to be run with superuser privileges (under the root user on most systems).
╰─λ sudo dnf remove *nvidia*                                                                 1 (0.126s) < 17:43:21
[sudo] password for croldfish: 
No match for argument: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-510.68.02-1.fc36.x86_64.rpm
No packages marked for removal.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!
╰─λ                    ```

This is odd
╰─λ dnf module list                                                                          1 (0.685s) < 17:45:51
Last metadata expiration check: 0:03:39 ago on Thu 07 Jul 2022 05:42:44 PM EDT.
cuda-fedora35-11-7-local
Name               Stream           Profiles              Summary                                                 
nvidia-driver      latest           default [d], fm, ks,  Nvidia driver for latest branch                         
                                    src                                                                           
nvidia-driver      latest-dkms [d]  default [d], fm, ks   Nvidia driver for latest-dkms branch                    
nvidia-driver      open-dkms        default [d], fm, ks,  Nvidia driver for open-dkms branch                      
                                    src                                                                           
nvidia-driver      515              default [d], fm, ks,  Nvidia driver for 515 branch                            
                                    src                                                                           
nvidia-driver      515-dkms         default [d], fm, ks   Nvidia driver for 515-dkms branch                       
nvidia-driver      515-open         default [d], fm, ks,  Nvidia driver for 515-open branch                       
                                    src                                                                           

Fedora Modular 36 - x86_64
avocado            latest           default [d], minimal  Framework with tools and libraries for Automated Testing
avocado-vt         latest           default               Avocado Virt Test Plugin                                
avocado-vt         82lts            default               Avocado Virt Test Plugin                                
cri-o              1.20             default [d]           Kubernetes Container Runtime Interface for OCI-based con
                                                          tainers                                                 
cri-o              1.21             default [d]           Kubernetes Container Runtime Interface for OCI-based con
                                                          tainers                                                 
cri-o              1.22             default [d]           Kubernetes Container Runtime Interface for OCI-based con
                                                          tainers                                                 
cri-o              1.23             default [d]           Kubernetes Container Runtime Interface for OCI-based con
                                                          tainers                                                 
dwm                latest           default [d], user     Dynamic window manager for X                            
dwm                6.0              default [d], user     Dynamic window manager for X                            
dwm                6.1              default [d], user     Dynamic window manager for X                            
dwm                6.2              default [d], user     Dynamic window manager for X                            
ghc                8.10             all, default [d], min Haskell GHC 8.10                                        
                                    imal, small                                                                   
ghc                9.2              all, default, minimal Haskell GHC 9.2                                         
                                    , small                                                                       
mariadb            10.5             client, devel, galera MariaDB: a very fast and robust SQL database server     
                                    , server [d]                                                                  
mariadb            10.6             client, devel, galera MariaDB: a very fast and robust SQL database server     
                                    , server                                                                      
mariadb            10.7             client, devel, galera MariaDB: a very fast and robust SQL database server     
                                    , server                                                                      
mysql              8.0              client, devel, server MySQL Module                                            
                                     [d]                                                                          
nextcloud          nextcloud-stable default, testing      A private file sync and share server - Stable branch    
nextcloud          nextcloud-18     default, testing      A private file sync and share server - version 18.0.x   
nextcloud          nextcloud-19     default, testing      A private file sync and share server - version 19.0.x   
nextcloud          nextcloud-21     default, testing      A private file sync and share server - version 21.0.x   
nextcloud          nextcloud-22     default, testing      A private file sync and share server - version 22.0.x   
nginx              mainline         common [d]            nginx webserver                                         
nginx              1.20             common                nginx webserver                                         
nodejs             14               common [d], developme Javascript runtime                                      
                                    nt, minimal                                                                   
nodejs             16               common [d], developme Javascript runtime                                      
                                    nt, minimal                                                                   
openmpi            4.0              buildroot, default [d Open Message Passing Interface                          
                                    ]                                                                             
perl               5.32             common [d], minimal   Practical Extraction and Report Language                
perl-App-cpanminus 1.7044           common [d]            Get, unpack, build and install CPAN modules             
perl-CGI           4.51             common [d]            Handle Common Gateway Interface requests and responses  
perl-DBD-MySQL     4.050            common [d]            A MySQL interface for Perl                              
perl-DBD-Pg        3.14             common [d]            A PostgreSQL interface for Perl                         
perl-DBD-SQLite    1.66             common [d]            SQLite DBI driver                                       
perl-DBI           1.643            common [d]            A database access API for Perl                          
perl-Date-Manip    6.83             common [d]            Date manipulation routines                              
perl-FCGI          0.79             common [d]            FastCGI Perl bindings                                   
perl-IO-Socket-SSL 2.068            common [d]            Perl library for transparent TLS                        
perl-IO-Socket-SSL 2.074            common [d]            Perl library for transparent TLS                        
perl-IO-stringy    2.113            common                I/O on in-core objects like strings and arrays for Perl 
perl-XML-Parser    2.46             common [d]            Perl module for parsing XML documents                   
perl-YAML          1.30             common [d]            Perl parser for YAML                                    
perl-libwww-perl   6.48             common [d]            A Perl interface to the World-Wide Web                  
postgresql         10               client, server [d]    PostgreSQL module                                       
postgresql         11               client, server [d]    PostgreSQL module                                       
postgresql         12               client, server        PostgreSQL module                                       
postgresql         13               client, server        PostgreSQL module                                       
postgresql         14               client, server        PostgreSQL module                                       
subversion         1.14             common, server        Apache Subversion                                       
sway               rolling          default [d], full     i3-compatible window manager for Wayland                
swig               4.0              complete, default [d] Connects C/C++/Objective C to some high-level programmin
                                                          g languages                                             
varnish            6.0              default               Varnish HTTP cache                                      

Fedora Modular 36 - x86_64 - Updates
avocado            latest           default [d], minimal  Framework with tools and libraries for Automated Testing
avocado-vt         latest           default               Avocado Virt Test Plugin                                
avocado-vt         82lts            default               Avocado Virt Test Plugin                                
cri-o              1.20             default [d]           Kubernetes Container Runtime Interface for OCI-based con
                                                          tainers                                                 
cri-o              1.21             default [d]           Kubernetes Container Runtime Interface for OCI-based con
                                                          tainers                                                 
cri-o              1.22             default [d]           Kubernetes Container Runtime Interface for OCI-based con
                                                          tainers                                                 
cri-o              1.23             default [d]           Kubernetes Container Runtime Interface for OCI-based con
                                                          tainers                                                 
cri-o              1.24             default               Kubernetes Container Runtime Interface for OCI-based con
                                                          tainers                                                 
dwm                latest           default [d], user     Dynamic window manager for X                            
dwm                6.0              default [d], user     Dynamic window manager for X                            
dwm                6.1              default [d], user     Dynamic window manager for X                            
dwm                6.2              default [d], user     Dynamic window manager for X                            
ghc                8.10             all, default [d], min Haskell GHC 8.10                                        
                                    imal, small                                                                   
ghc                9.2              all, default, minimal Haskell GHC 9.2                                         
                                    , small                                                                       
mariadb            10.5             client, devel, galera MariaDB: a very fast and robust SQL database server     
                                    , server [d]                                                                  
mariadb            10.6             client, devel, galera MariaDB: a very fast and robust SQL database server     
                                    , server                                                                      
mariadb            10.7             client, devel, galera MariaDB: a very fast and robust SQL database server     
                                    , server                                                                      
mariadb            10.8             client, devel, galera MariaDB: a very fast and robust SQL database server     
                                    , server                                                                      
mysql              8.0              client, devel, server MySQL Module                                            
                                     [d]                                                                          
nextcloud          nextcloud-stable default, testing      A private file sync and share server - Stable branch    
nextcloud          nextcloud-18     default, testing      A private file sync and share server - version 18.0.x   
nextcloud          nextcloud-19     default, testing      A private file sync and share server - version 19.0.x   
nextcloud          nextcloud-21     default, testing      A private file sync and share server - version 21.0.x   
nextcloud          nextcloud-22     default, testing      A private file sync and share server - version 22.0.x   
nginx              mainline         common [d]            nginx webserver                                         
nginx              1.20             common                nginx webserver                                         
nodejs             14               common [d], developme Javascript runtime                                      
                                    nt, minimal                                                                   
nodejs             16               common [d], developme Javascript runtime                                      
                                    nt, minimal                                                                   
nodejs             18               common, development,  Javascript runtime                                      
                                    minimal                                                                       
openmpi            4.0              buildroot, default [d Open Message Passing Interface                          
                                    ]                                                                             
perl               5.32             common [d], minimal   Practical Extraction and Report Language                
perl               5.34             common [d], minimal   Practical Extraction and Report Language                
perl-App-cpanminus 1.7044           common [d]            Get, unpack, build and install CPAN modules             
perl-App-cpanminus 1.7045           common [d]            Get, unpack, build and install CPAN modules             
perl-CGI           4.51             common [d]            Handle Common Gateway Interface requests and responses  
perl-CGI           4.54             common [d]            Handle Common Gateway Interface requests and responses  
perl-DBD-MySQL     4.050            common [d]            A MySQL interface for Perl                              
perl-DBD-Pg        3.14             common [d]            A PostgreSQL interface for Perl                         
perl-DBD-Pg        3.15             common [d]            A PostgreSQL interface for Perl                         
perl-DBD-SQLite    1.66             common [d]            SQLite DBI driver                                       
perl-DBD-SQLite    1.70             common [d]            SQLite DBI driver                                       
perl-DBI           1.643            common [d]            A database access API for Perl                          
perl-Date-Manip    6.83             common [d]            Date manipulation routines                              
perl-Date-Manip    6.86             common [d]            Date manipulation routines                              
perl-FCGI          0.79             common [d]            FastCGI Perl bindings                                   
perl-IO-Socket-SSL 2.068            common [d]            Perl library for transparent TLS                        
perl-IO-Socket-SSL 2.074            common [d]            Perl library for transparent TLS                        
perl-IO-stringy    2.113            common                I/O on in-core objects like strings and arrays for Perl 
perl-XML-Parser    2.46             common [d]            Perl module for parsing XML documents                   
perl-YAML          1.30             common [d]            Perl parser for YAML                                    
perl-libwww-perl   6.48             common [d]            A Perl interface to the World-Wide Web                  
perl-libwww-perl   6.62             common [d]            A Perl interface to the World-Wide Web                  
postgresql         10               client, server [d]    PostgreSQL module                                       
postgresql         11               client, server [d]    PostgreSQL module                                       
postgresql         12               client, server        PostgreSQL module                                       
postgresql         13               client, server        PostgreSQL module                                       
postgresql         14               client, server        PostgreSQL module                                       
subversion         1.14             common, server        Apache Subversion                                       
sway               rolling          default [d], full     i3-compatible window manager for Wayland                
swig               4.0              complete, default [d] Connects C/C++/Objective C to some high-level programmin
                                                          g languages                                             
varnish            6.0              default               Varnish HTTP cache                                      

Hint: [d]efault, [e]nabled, [x]disabled, [i]nstalled```

Obviously they may at times as he posted

dnf list installed *nvidia*
Installed Packages
kmod-nvidia-5.18.9-200.fc36.x86_64.x86_64                                                 3:510.68.02-2.fc36                                                  @@commandline                   
nvidia-modprobe.x86_64                                                                    3:510.68.02-1.fc36                                                  @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver
nvidia-settings.x86_64                                                                    3:510.68.02-1.fc36                                                  @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia.x86_64                                                                3:510.68.02-2.fc36                                                  @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-libs.x86_64                                                      3:515.57-1.fc36                                                     @rpmfusion-nonfree-updates      
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686                                                             3:510.68.02-2.fc36                                                  @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64                                                           3:510.68.02-2.fc36                                                  @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-power.x86_64                                                          3:510.68.02-2.fc36                                                  @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver

Note that the cuda-libs are 515.57 while all others are 510.68 and from a different repo. His attempt to remove the nvidia packages failed probably because of that.

Jack,
First try sudo dnf distrosync Then follow that with sudo dnf remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-libs. If the removal completes properly then use the 2 dnf commands I gave above to remove all the remaining nvidia packages then reinstall them so things are fully in sync.

dnf returned an error

╰─λ sudo dnf distrosync                                                                      0 (0.690s) < 17:46:23
[sudo] password for croldfish: 
Last metadata expiration check: 3:10:11 ago on Thu 07 Jul 2022 07:26:51 PM EDT.
Error: 
 Problem: problem with installed package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-power-3:510.68.02-2.fc36.x86_64
  - package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-power-3:510.68.02-1.fc36.x86_64 requires xorg-x11-drv-nvidia(x86-64) = 3:510.68.02, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-power-3:515.57-1.fc36.x86_64 requires xorg-x11-drv-nvidia(x86-64) = 3:515.57, but none of the providers can be installed
  - xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-power-3:510.68.02-2.fc36.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  - xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-3:510.68.02-2.fc36.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  - package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-3:510.68.02-1.fc36.x86_64 is filtered out by modular filtering
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

at least progress is being made…

Ok, then remove the nvidia packages before doing the distrosync.

This still bothers me. How did you install the cuda libraries?

https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/CUDA

notes that one has to disable the module provided by the nvidia cuda repository.

None of this will work if a module is filtering (excluding) packages from what I know, because these don’t change the states of modules.

Well, they don’t build different packages for the different repos—the same packages are published to the different repos. The nvidia specific repo was only set up so that the workstation could include it as an extra third party repository because the full RPM Fusion repos could not.

I’m going to mention something that got me (my own fault of course). On Alma (a RH clone), I installed the rpmfusion drivers, and thought they weren’t working, This was because I didn’t closely look at their pages, where they said wait till after the kmods get built. (I was working in console, not in X). After it seemed everything was installed, but not working, i redid it and found that after it seemed to be installed, the modules were still building. If I ran top, I could see gcc and friends working. Once I realized that, and waited for it complete, everything was fine. I realize this isn’t germane to the issues here, but am adding this, in case web searching brings someone to this thread.

1 Like

Oops, my bad

Anyways, I was able to distrosync and remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-libs

==============================================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                        Architecture                  Version                                                   Repository                                       Size
==============================================================================================================================================================================================
Upgrading:
 firewalld                                      noarch                        1.0.5-1.fc36                                              updates                                         438 k
 firewalld-filesystem                           noarch                        1.0.5-1.fc36                                              updates                                         9.4 k
 gjs                                            x86_64                        1.72.1-1.fc36                                             updates                                         488 k
 gnome-calculator                               x86_64                        42.2-1.fc36                                               updates                                         1.2 M
 nvidia-modprobe                                x86_64                        3:515.43.04-1.fc35                                        cuda-fedora35-11-7-local                         28 k
 python3-firewall                               noarch                        1.0.5-1.fc36                                              updates                                         348 k
Installing dependencies:
 bison                                          x86_64                        3.8.2-2.fc36                                              fedora                                          986 k
 dkms                                           noarch                        3.0.5-1.fc36                                              updates                                          58 k
 egl-wayland                                    x86_64                        1.1.10-4.20220621git53b6a87.fc36                          updates                                          38 k
 elfutils-libelf-devel                          x86_64                        0.187-4.fc36                                              updates                                          26 k
 flex                                           x86_64                        2.6.4-10.fc36                                             fedora                                          307 k
 kernel-debug-devel                             x86_64                        5.18.9-200.fc36                                           updates                                          16 M
 kmod-nvidia-latest-dkms                        x86_64                        3:515.43.04-1.fc35                                        cuda-fedora35-11-7-local                         29 M
 nvidia-driver                                  x86_64                        3:515.43.04-1.fc35                                        cuda-fedora35-11-7-local                         22 M
 nvidia-driver-libs                             x86_64                        3:515.43.04-1.fc35                                        cuda-fedora35-11-7-local                        178 M
 nvidia-kmod-common                             noarch                        3:515.43.04-1.fc35                                        cuda-fedora35-11-7-local                         11 k
 openssl-devel                                  x86_64                        1:3.0.3-1.fc36                                            updates                                         2.9 M
Enabling module streams:
 nvidia-driver                                                                latest-dkms                                                                                                    

Transaction Summary
Install  11 Packages
Upgrade   6 Packages

Should I proceed to do dnf --disablerepo rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda and dnf config-manager --disable rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver ?

I meant to reply to this one

You did not post the installed nvidia packages after the distrosync update so we cannot see the currently installed packages.

If the akmod-nvidia package is not installed then yes I would still suggest the removal of all nvidia packages and reinstall as noted above.

The akmod-nvidia package takes care of rebuilding the needed kmod-nvidia package for you with each kernel update. Without it you are stuck with manually doing those updates.

However, somehow you have installed the nvidia driver module and I do not know how that relates to the normal package assembly when installing from rpmfusion. Personally I have never liked the extra complexity of using modules and have at times had the modular config interfere with the way I installed and updated, so I have always disabled the fedora modular repos and work with the standard repos instead.

This shows you have some modular repo enabled that is non-fedora so it could easily be causing part of the inconsistencies.

╰─λ dnf module list                                                                          1 (0.685s) < 17:45:51
Last metadata expiration check: 0:03:39 ago on Thu 07 Jul 2022 05:42:44 PM EDT.
cuda-fedora35-11-7-local
nvidia-driver      latest           default [d], fm, ks,  Nvidia driver for latest branch                         
                                    src                                                                           
nvidia-driver      latest-dkms [d]  default [d], fm, ks   Nvidia driver for latest-dkms branch                    
nvidia-driver      open-dkms        default [d], fm, ks,  Nvidia driver for open-dkms branch                      
                                    src                                                                           
nvidia-driver      515              default [d], fm, ks,  Nvidia driver for 515 branch                            
                                    src                                                                           
nvidia-driver      515-dkms         default [d], fm, ks   Nvidia driver for 515-dkms branch                       
nvidia-driver      515-open         default [d], fm, ks,  Nvidia driver for 515-open branch                       
                                    src                                                                           

Please post the output of dnf repolist

1 Like

Before you edited your recent reply, I removed *nvidia* stuff and did sudo dnf remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-libs, which I think successfully removed everything about nvidia, because when I rebooted and logged in, the screen was at a really low resolution, and I couldn’t change any of the screen settings. Seeing this, I went to dodnf --disablerepo rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver install akmod-nvidia without xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cude because it said it couldn’t find the package, Then, I restarted my computer, and now I can’t log into fedora. I can’t get past the GRUB menu. The screen is black. I am writing this on another laptop.

I think I might re install fedora and follow a tutorial to properly install nvidia drivers. (in case there is no fixing this)

This is 100% on me, I made a horrible, stupid mistake, and I am sorry I am putting you through all of this trouble.

EDIT: FEDORA ISN’T COMPLETLY BROKEN!!!
In the grub boot menu, I selected the third option (Imgur: The magic of the Internet) and I can use fedora now!

What I see: In the settings menu, there is no way to re arrange displays, the resolution is stuck at 800 x 600 and there is screen tearing.