Unable to create a bootable external ssd with fedora 33

I am unable to create a bootable external SSD.

What I did: download fedora 33 and write it to a usb stick:

sudo dd if=Downloads/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-33-1.2.iso of=/dev/sde bs=8M status=progress oflag=direct

Boot from that stick and start installation to new external SSD. Allow to remove all and everything in that new disk. After some minutes without any error the installation finishes. I reboot after removing the usb stick and the pc did not see any bootable device.

If I simply write the iso image to the external ssd, the ssd boots also in uefi mode ( i believe ).

But I am unable to install a full fedora installation to the external SSD.

Is this a bug? Can I force to use mbr mode if UEFI is a problem ( which is not a problem from usb stick )

Is there any selectable option for selecting the boot mode during installation setup. I did not find anything. I only read somewhere that if I boot not in UEFI from the installation stick, it will install with mbr. But I have no idea how to boot not in uefi from that stick.

I also tried out to create the usb stick with

sudo livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr Downloads/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-33-1.2.iso /dev/sde

But this stick did not boot at all.

Can I check something? No idea to proceed!

Thanks

1 Like
  • Upgrade your BIOS/EFI firmware if possible.
  • Reset the EFI boot configuration.
  • Reinstall GRUB2 if the issue persists.

One of the PCs is new, bought yesterday and the bios is up to date. The other tested PC is 3 years old, bios was updated 2 years ago. On both systems the same behavior.

Nothing changed

Puh… I may do that if I can spend some hours.

What makes me really wonder is, that the installation of previous fedora installations was without any problem. And the both SSDs with older fedora installations work like plug and play on older and the new PC. Even so, the usb stick boots in UEFI mode without any problem. So I believe there is something wrong with the installed UEFI boot with the current delivered fedora 33.

1 Like