Unable to detect audio device on fedora os 35

I have Dell Latitude - 5500 laptop on which i recently upgraded from Fedora 32 to Fedora 35. It looks like the OS is unable to detect the Audio device

$ lspci | grep -i audio
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 30)

While checking my sound setting, In the Input device, the only option i see to select is Internal Microphone - Built-in Audio. If i plugin any headset and switch to use headphone for recording it does not record my audio. Though i am able to record my audio with ‘Internal Microphone - Built-in Audio’ its detecting a lot of background static noise (even minute noise) if i increase the input device volume. Attached the sound setting screenshot.

Note - I am using simplescreenrecorder for recording and using the alsa as the backend currently.With pulseaudio as the backend i am unable to record my audio.

packages installed

[admin@fedser32 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep pipe
libpipeline-1.5.3-3.fc35.x86_64
pipewire0.2-libs-0.2.7-6.fc35.x86_64
pipewire-libs-0.3.43-1.fc35.x86_64
pipewire-0.3.43-1.fc35.x86_64
pipewire-alsa-0.3.43-1.fc35.x86_64
pipewire-gstreamer-0.3.43-1.fc35.x86_64
pipewire-jack-audio-connection-kit-0.3.43-1.fc35.x86_64
pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.43-1.fc35.x86_64
pipewire-utils-0.3.43-1.fc35.x86_64

[admin@fedser32 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep pulse
pulseaudio-libs-15.0-2.fc35.x86_64
pulseaudio-libs-glib2-15.0-2.fc35.x86_64
kde-settings-pulseaudio-35.0-1.fc35.noarch
pulseaudio-utils-15.0-2.fc35.x86_64
gvncpulse-1.3.0-1.fc35.x86_64
pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.43-1.fc35.x86_64

If there is any other information required to be shared, please do let me know.

Kindly suggest if anyway i can fix this problem.

If you’re able to hear the sound from your headphone, is there any device available other than Headphone mentioned in Gnome Setting on Output Device? Headset instead of Headphone?

Other thing you can try, if your headphone are connected by wire (not bluetooth), open alsamixer from terminal and press F6 to select the appropriate sound card. Then check the mic volume there if it currently muted with [MM] code at the bottom of volume bar. Unmute it by pressing m on the keyboard.

If above not work, please run in the terminal lspci -v | grep -A 7 -i Audio and aplay -lL also the printscreen of alsamixer.

Thanks for your inputs. Output device works fine. When i insert my headset i see two option ‘Headphones - Built in Audio’ and ‘Speakers - Built in Audio’. With both of them i can test the output from laptop and from my headset (left and right side).

As per your inputs i tried to check my alsamixer output. Attaching both before and after screenshot. In the after screenshot i tried to bump the ‘Headset mic’ to 100 %. I tested the recording with simplescreenrecorder with backend as Pulse audio and source as Built in audio analog stero. I just get to hear a lot of static noise. Then i changed my headset to a basic one with the same setting, i was able to hear my voice back but still there is some static nose. But now at least i know that my boat headset is not supported but it works with my basic headset.

Regarding the static noise, not sure how i can avoid it. I am using audacity to reduce that static noise but it degrades the audio quality a bit. Also if the audio device is getting detected it should show in the list of audio devices for me to select.

Here is my output for the two commands you provided.

[admin@fedser32 ~]$ lspci -v | grep -A 7 -i Audio; aplay -lL
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 30) (prog-if 80)
DeviceName: Onboard - Sound
Subsystem: Dell Device 08b9
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 146
Memory at 91438000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Memory at 91000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pipewire
PipeWire Sound Server
Default ALSA Output (currently PipeWire Media Server)
sysdefault:CARD=PCH
HDA Intel PCH, ALC3204 Analog
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
Front output / input
surround21:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=2
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 3
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=4
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 4
HDMI Audio Output
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3204 Analog [ALC3204 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]

My bad, I should also mention after selecting appropriate sound card with alsamixer, it should be then pressing F4 for showing only the Capture mixer or F5 to show all.

Usually it will show mic boost slider. You could try to decrease/rise it to find the best spot. Also if you’re using Internal/Headset mic, try to check if the one that not in use, should be on mute [MM] state.

Btw, from your screenshot:

• There S/PDIF 1 to 5, would you like to try to mute it (press m)? Also decreasing the PCM so it’s not hit the top sealing.
  • There also showing 2 headphone, are they two headphone?

All above by muting and decreasing some ports, we are trying to avoid any excessive power gain that possibly make the static sounds you heard. You could also try decrease any power gain related from Audacity app (if there any).

If your battery sill working fine, you could try if there any different between plug in and unplug the power.

Other things, Fedora 35 by default no longer using Pulseaudio. It replaced with Pipewire and Wireplumber. There will some library from Pulseaudio that still in use by Pipewire that I believe may be for compatibility reason (not sure about this). You could check it here.

HI, I have muted the PDIF 1 to 5 and reduced PCM level. The audio capture looks better now.
Though if i raise the speaker volume, i hear static i think i will have to filter it maybe using audacity. Thanks for your inputs. It really helped me get some understanding about audio device.

Hi, yesterday when I use qjackctl, accidentally I route a wrong path in QjackCtl graph path from virtual sound device and it make a static noise too. Maybe you could also check it if in the past you have create virtual device loopback.