Unable to install flameshot: dependency errors with DNF

I do however get this odd message for flameshot

[benji@localhost Downloads]$ sudo dnf install flameshot-0.10.0.rc1-1-lp15.2.x86_64.rpm
[sudo] password for benji: 
Last metadata expiration check: 2:05:18 ago on Fri 23 Jul 2021 06:52:46 PM AEST.
Error: 
 Problem: conflicting requests
  - nothing provides libQt5Core5 >= 5.9.0 needed by flameshot-0.10.0.rc1-lp152.1.1.x86_64
  - nothing provides libQt5Svg5 >= 5.9.0 needed by flameshot-0.10.0.rc1-lp152.1.1.x86_64
  - nothing provides libqt5-qttools >= 5.9.0 needed by flameshot-0.10.0.rc1-lp152.1.1.x86_64
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

The package is broken, please contact the vendor that you’re getting the RPM from and ask them to fix it.

Any reason you’re not using flameshot from the repositories?

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/flameshot

2 Likes

Hi Ankur,

Actually I am using the one from the repo:

I’m not sure how but the one on the fedora (gnome) software centre was the one I downloaded…

I guess Sampson was right it trakes a while to get the update downstream for some reason to the gnome software centre.

1 Like

Sure I will let the flameshot team know on github, thanks for letting me know

Yeh, take a look at this:

Maintainers don’t push release candidates or major updates to stable releases since that’s risky.

F34 already has flameshot-0.10. The rpm you seem to have is a release candidate for version 0.10 (which is older than 0.10). If you are on F33, the best thing to do is to update to F34. I doubt F33 will see version 0.10, although you can ask the maintainer by filing a bug and see what they have to say.

Bug List

As a side note: updating versions isn’t as simple as rebuilding a new version. If newer libraries are required, the whole set has to be updated. So for example, if version 0.10 requires a newer Qt version that isn’t available on F33, version 0.10 cannot be built on F33 either.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying this, I had no idea, and I thought apps would continue to function as they are updated with end of life versions of Fedora, just out of curiosity, what types of dependencies and libraries are not included when apps get updated.

What I mean is, what types of differences make the updated apps not work in Fedora 33 as compared to Fedora 34. I am running Cinammon so wouldnt there be no difference

Also I get this message on my system when I run flatpak updates.

[benji@localhost ~]$ sudo flatpak update
[sudo] password for benji: 
Looking for updates…
Info: org.gnome.Platform//3.36 is end-of-life, with reason:
   The GNOME 3.36 runtime is no longer supported as of February 13, 2021. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.
Applications using this runtime:
   com.github.calo001.fondo
Info: org.freedesktop.Platform//18.08 is end-of-life, with reason:
   The Freedesktop SDK 18.08 runtime is no longer supported as of 31th August 2020. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.
   net.sourceforge.Klavaro
Info: org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs//18.08 is end-of-life, with reason:
   The Freedesktop SDK 18.08 runtime is no longer supported as of 31th August 2020. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.

On any Fedora (rpm) package, run: rpm -q --requires <packagename> and you’ll see what libraries it needs. If it relies on shared objects, it’ll rely on a specific version of it. For example, see:

https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html

The versions of the underlying libraries—any library: glibc, boost, anything at all. Only if the right versions are available in Fedora can dependent applications be built.

You’re mixing things here. Flatpaks are built using a very different build system to RPMs. Your Flatpaks do not depend on what rpms you have installed at all. They have their own way of including their dependencies and so on.

Try:

flatpak uninstall --unused

If you’re still getting this message, some Flatpak that you have installed is using this old runtime and it should be updated to use a newer one.

1 Like

Great thanks,

So the programs that it is asking to uninstall based on that command you sent are the following

[benji@localhost ~]$ flatpak uninstall --unused

ID                                                Branch       Op
 1.     com.github.Eloston.UngoogledChromium.Codecs       stable       r
 2.     com.github.Eloston.UngoogledChromium.Locale       stable       r
 3.     org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg-full              20.08        r

Proceed with these changes to the system installation? [Y/n]: 

If I remove that will my sound and video still work, ffmpeg are video and sound codecs right?

Also, actually the apps using the old Gnome 3.36 runtime are:

• Fondo
  • Klavaro

So why didnt they get asked to be removed when I ran this code below ?

flatpak uninstall --unused
1 Like

Let’s be more specific: some Flatpak applications/runtiles will be uninstalled. This does not touch packages installed as rpms in any way.

Yep. Read man flatpak-uninstall and see what it says for the --unused option. And of course, your system in general uses software and libraries that are not installed as Flatpaks. You should read up more on Flatpaks to understand how they work. Some resources here:

What makes you think that? (Also note that the gnome 3.36 runtime is not being removed—probably because it’s in use by these).

1 Like

Right this makes sense, the flatpaks are not operating system files of course, silly me. Thanks for clearing that up. Flatpaks are containers, I’ll read that article, thanks

I figured that becase it mentions the below these were the outdated softwares and I need to move to either the new gnome 40 with Fedora 34.

[root@localhost benji]# flatpak update
Looking for updates…
Info: org.gnome.Platform//3.36 is end-of-life, with reason:
   The GNOME 3.36 runtime is no longer supported as of February 13, 2021. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.
   com.github.calo001.fondo
Info: org.freedesktop.Platform//18.08 is end-of-life, with reason:
   net.sourceforge.Klavaro
Info: org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs//18.08 is end-of-life, with reason:
1 Like

This will have to be discussed with whoever is providing the Flatpak. Find their repository here and then see if an issue is filed about it, and file a new one if not:

1 Like

flameshot*.lp15.2.x86_64.rpm is for openSUSE leap 15.2.
You downloaded the wrong package

Ah thanks for the heads up.

I download the one that the app told me too.

I’ll grab it from github and see if they have other versions

Hi there,

there is quite a lot to choose from. Would it be the fc33 version ?

Yep. That’ll be it.

For Fedora 33 x86_64: flameshot-0.10.1-1.fc33.x86_64.rpm

sudo dnf install https://github.com/flameshot-org/flameshot/releases/download/v0.10.1/flameshot-0.10.1-1.fc33.x86_64.rpm

I don’t want to install any QT programs in Fedora 34, so I used the appimage version and so far it works very well. appimage also works with fedora 33

~ $ flameshot --version
Run experimental self-contained bundle
Flameshot v0.10.1
Compiled with Qt 5.12.8

~ $ uname -iosr
Linux 5.13.7-200.fc34.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# flameshot D-BUS Service
sudo ln -s /home/YourUserName/.local/bin/flameshot.appimage  /usr/bin/flameshot
echo "[D-BUS Service]" | sudo tee /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.flameshot.Flameshot.service
echo "Name=org.flameshot.Flameshot" | sudo tee -a /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.flameshot.Flameshot.service
echo "Exec=/usr/bin/flameshot" | sudo tee -a /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.flameshot.Flameshot.service
1 Like