I upgraded my Fedora version today and the upgrade seemed to have run through without a problem. But when I went to log in as my normal user it said password incorrect. Thinking I miss typed my password, still incorrect, then I made my password visible just to ensure I was typing it correctly, still incorrect. Luckily (unlucky) I have had experience with messing up my user password so I had a password setup for root and was able to login. Upon investigation the contents of my user home folder were owned by root:root. After a crown -R user:user /home/user and temporarily letting the user auto login without a password all seems to be working now. I am not sure what happened but wanted to start a thread if others experience the same issue.
Welcome to askfedora.
Let me guess. You are using btrfs and you did not do a backup of /home before you did the upgrade. This is not really wise with any major system changes.
I am glad that you were able to recover with a chown of your home directory.
This type misbehavior on an upgrade should be reported as a bug at bugzilla.redhat.com as it should never happen.
I actually don’t use btrfs I have had fedora on my system before butter was the default file system. I am happy I was able to figure it out as well. I’ll open a Bugzilla and reflect the problem so that we might find a fix going forward.
This is quite surprising. I’m not sure how that could have happened, but computers do mysterious things sometimes! What method did you use to do the upgrade? (Command-line or GUI triggered?) Do you see anything interesting in the system logs? Do you have any third-party repositories enabled? Is it possible something else could have caused this?
Here are the repos I have on my system, I have had these repos through multiple upgrades. I have also filed a bug in bugzilla
repo id repo name Atom Atom Editor adobe-linux-x86_64 Adobe Systems Incorporated fedora Fedora 35 - x86_64 fedora-cisco-openh264 Fedora 35 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64 fedora-modular Fedora Modular 35 - x86_64 google-chrome google-chrome rhel8-csb RHEL8 CSB packages rpmfusion-free RPM Fusion for Fedora 35 - Free rpmfusion-free-updates RPM Fusion for Fedora 35 - Free - Updates rpmfusion-nonfree RPM Fusion for Fedora 35 - Nonfree rpmfusion-nonfree-updates RPM Fusion for Fedora 35 - Nonfree - Updates updates Fedora 35 - x86_64 - Updates updates-modular Fedora Modular 35 - x86_64 - Updates
Thanks! I think we’ll need logs to have any guess what happened. My leading suspect right now — and I have no idea if this is right — is that some package has a post-installation script meant to fix some permissions, and for some reason it went horribly wrong.
Understood, I have generated an sosreport for my system, just let me know where to upload them to.