Unable to resume after suspend

After updating my system today I was suddenly unable to resume after suspend. The only solution to get the system back working was to open the notebook (8 skrews!) and pull out / plug in the accu cable + press power - which is an unaccaptable situation.

Laptop is a Dell Vostro-5515 with a AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700U CPU
Details: Vostro 5515 mit den neuesten AMD-Prozessoren. | Dell Deutschland

I updated my Bios from 1.7.0 to the latest and highly recommended version 1.9.0 - but the problem persisted.

The update installed a new kernel with version 5.16.20-200.fc35.x86_64. The suspend/resume cycle works, when I boot from the last kernel (5.16.18-200.fc35.x86_64).

My solution right now: Turn off any power management (leaving the display on all day) and avoid closing the display… which is not a solution.

I did an dnf offline-update like so:
$ sudo dnf offline-upgrade download
$ sudo dnf offline-upgrade reboot

The protocol of the dnf update (too long to paste here):

Any hints or work arounds for this would be great!

Use grubby to set your default kernel to 5.16.18-200.fc35.x86_64, 5.16.20 is EOL. In short the 5.17 kernel will be the new one and then you can check if it works again. You might check this with a live image before you updating your system.

The same thing happened to me on Monday after the same update.

No solution … but to avoid having to remove the screws, you can reset the laptop by plugging in some USB devices (portable hard drives work) to drain the battery. Once the battery runs down, the laptop will restart normally in response to the power button.

And yes, use grubby to revert the default kernel to 5.16.18-200 which does not have the issue.

So when testing a new kernel (ie. 5.17) allow the laptop battery to run down to about 10% before testing the procedure. That way, if it still has the issue, you are much closer to draining the battery with external USB devices so you can recover control of the laptop and reboot into an older kernel.