Uninstaller for Fedora

I have a general question about the Fedora universe: is there an easy way to uninstall Fedora again: e.g. if somebody tests a Beta version on a dual boot system, he/she may wish to remove the tested version (restoring the former boot-record etc.)? Or is restoring an image of the whole system the only way to get back to the start position? Thanks.

1 Like

You should be able to delete Fedora partitions and restore the bootloader using your primary OS.
The exact instructions are most likely outside of the scope of this forum.

1 Like

Okay, I understand there is only the hard manual way(Windows 10 repair options) :smiley:. There is no uninstaller! Thank you.

1 Like

I am wondering why you would expect an uninstaller for fedora.
Can you point out any OS that has an uninstaller available? I don’t seem to be aware of any in over 40 years working with computers.

2 Likes

You are right in general, but for the sake of fairness Linux installation as Windows application in restricted mode was possible ~10 years ago and still possible nowadays, but of course it cannot be considered a real installation, so in any case if the OP wants to experiment, it’s best to utilize virtualization and/or boot into a live session.

True
For experimentation installing as a VM would make removal a snap. Installing to the hardware as he did is not so easy to remove, although still quite possible.
Reinstalling windows or going through the recovery process can literally be quite a pain if there is customization or data to keep.

1 Like

Hi guys. I was too optimistic concerning the uninstaller in the linux universe. VM’s are an option, but the behaviour of VM’s is often different as it is on a real system. The idea was to help testing Fedora under real conditions on a real machine, but without an uninstaller it’s a hard way to restore the previous state of a system. I have to do it with Acronis Imaging solutions, that’s easy to handle but it’s time consuming. :crazy_face:

There is no uninstaller for any operating system. How do you uninstall Windows 10 or MacOS? You don’t! It has nothing to do with ‘linux universe’. You simply delete the partition and restore the bootloader.

So, if a VM is no good for you (why?), then create a separate partition on which you install Fedora 33. After you are done, delete the partition and use a Windows install media to restore your bootloader.

Or slam in a spare HDD in that machine for testing (100-180 GB used SSD for a few bucks in online stores). Once you are done, swap it for the original drive.

Be creative, but don’t expect an operating system to have an uninstaller for the OS.

2 Likes

@Florian: a clear answer. Thanks to all for your hints. :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.