Updating a RPM File?

Greetings,
I was just wondering, which way would you recommend when one is trying to update any RPM File which is stored for an exmaple: on Github? Should I maybe use RSS to receive update notifications?

2 Likes

Could you please explain this a little more with an example perhaps?

The standard way of receiving updates is to set up repositories (like the fedora-updates repository). When a new version of an rpm package is available, the repository receives it and has its metadata updated. This then tells dnf and similar tools about the update.

For providers not using repositories, there’s no real clear way—you can subscribe to RSS updates or whatever platform they use to publish information about their updates, but you will need to download the rpm yourself and then use dnf or rpm manually to install the updated version.

2 Likes

Thank you for the replay,

An example would be Sparrow Wallet which does not use a repository.So potential users of the said wallet will need to use a platform to receive information about updates.Seemed to me a bit careless, so I wanted to check if I was missing out on something.

1 Like

No, there isn’t a direct way of receiving updates if they’re only publishing files individually instead of using a repo. Zoom and JabRef are two tools I use that also do not have repositories, so each time an update is released, one must manually download the new rpm and update. They both provide notifications when new updates are available, so that’s how I know. For this particular project, you’ll need to subscribe to the rss feed for releases I guess, and then manually update:

https://github.com/sparrowwallet/sparrow/releases.atom

2 Likes

Thank you again, for the explanation and the link. :raised_hands:

1 Like