Upgrading to Silverblue 35

Hi. I posted this same question in FedoraForum but got not a single response. I am ready to try Fedora Silverblue 35 beta as an upgrade to FS 34. I want to confirm that the correct command would be

rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/35/x86_64/silverblue

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Updates, Upgrades & Rollbacks :: Fedora Docs

ostree remote list

Maybe this helps

3 Likes

I want to confirm that the correct command would be …

It is more than one command.

The official procedure for updating the system is located at DNF system-upgrade. According to the docs you can also upgrade to F35 using the procedure:

Change the --releasever= number if you want to upgrade to a different release… You can also use 35 to upgrade to a Branched release, or rawhide to upgrade to Rawhide. Note that neither of these two are stable releases.

Thanks for the info. I take upgrading from Fedora regular is not the same as from Silverblue. I think I’ll wait until next weekend to do this veeeeeeery slowly.
Edit: I decided not to wait and everything went fine, except for this error at the very end:

error: Packages not found: rpmfusion-free-release-34-1.noarch

I suppose this is easy to fix, but found no solution as to how to proceed. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

2nd edit: this is what I get, in full:

[francisco@principal ~]$ rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/35/x86_64/silverblue
2 metadata, 0 content objects fetched; 788 B transferred in 2 seconds; 0 bytes content written
Checking out tree 0bce63c... done
Inactive requests:
  fedora-workstation-repositories (already provided by fedora-workstation-repositories-35-1.fc35.noarch)
Enabled rpm-md repositories: fedora-cisco-openh264 updates fedora rpmfusion-free-updates rpmfusion-free rpmfusion-nonfree-updates rpmfusion-nonfree updates-archive
Importing rpm-md... done
rpm-md repo 'fedora-cisco-openh264' (cached); generated: 2021-02-23T00:47:28Z solvables: 4
rpm-md repo 'updates' (cached); generated: 2018-02-20T19:18:14Z solvables: 0
rpm-md repo 'fedora' (cached); generated: 2021-09-13T10:37:53Z solvables: 65488
rpm-md repo 'rpmfusion-free-updates' (cached); generated: 2021-08-15T14:43:40Z solvables: 0
rpm-md repo 'rpmfusion-free' (cached); generated: 2021-09-06T09:03:45Z solvables: 520
rpm-md repo 'rpmfusion-nonfree-updates' (cached); generated: 2021-08-15T14:43:20Z solvables: 0
rpm-md repo 'rpmfusion-nonfree' (cached); generated: 2021-09-06T09:28:34Z solvables: 210
rpm-md repo 'updates-archive' (cached); generated: 2021-08-18T13:30:23Z solvables: 0
error: Packages not found: rpmfusion-free-release-34-1.noarch

I was finally able to fix it and run Fedora 35 Silverblue. I found this entry:
https://githubmemory.com/repo/fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker/issues/155
And applied the following comand, adjusted for Silverblue 35:

rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/35/x86_64/silverblue --uninstall rpmfusion-free-release-34-1.noarch --install https://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-branched.noarch.rpm --uninstall rpmfusion-nonfree-release-34-1.noarch --install https://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-branched.noarch.rpm

It worked perfectly and, so far, so good. Hope this helps others.

thanks for that. There really ought to be a silverblue docs page somewhere, with instructions on how to upgrade from one release to another…

and there is…

Thanks for sharing. Better to bookmark it.