Vagrant and Fedora 36 (beta)

I use vagrant installed as an rpm from upstream (hashicorp repo), along with vagrant-libvirt installed as a plugin, not as an rpm. When I updated my workstation from F35 to F36 beta, I noted that the upgrade installed vagrant and vagrant-libvirt as rpms from the Fedora repo.

After a successful and uneventful upgrade to Fedora 36 beta (excellent work!) I tested vagrant in an existing vagrant project using the rpms as installed. Vagrant up failed. I also tested vagrant plugin update, which also failed. I was not surprised.

The fix was simple. Uninstall the fedora vagrant rpm which will also uninstall dependencies including the vagrant-libvirt rpm. And install the upstream vagrant rpm. See this post (https://github.com/vagrant-libvirt/vagrant-libvirt/discussions/1478#discussion-4007763) for the steps followed if interested.

If you are new to vagrant, then the fedora rpms should work fine. Those who have been using vagrant upstream may encounter the problem I did.

regards

1 Like

That’s not surprising, to be honest. I’ve had multiple cases of vagrant breaking due to mixed rubygem sources and it can be a real pain to debug. Your solution is correct - you shouldn’t mix repository sources for stuff like this. I suggest you add an exclude=vagrant* in the fedora/fedora-updates repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d, so dnf doesn’t try to pull from Fedora repos if you intend to use the Hashicorp ones instead.

3 Likes

That’s a great observation @vwbusguy . There is also an older version of vagrant in the Fedora repo than @buckaroogeek is used to using. If the later version is working for you, that’s definitely where you should remain. For me, the current packaged version works well, but if I run into a similar issue, I’ll keep this in mind.