Very sudden shifts in temperature

CPU - i5-1035G1

When I’m playing something my temperature will randomly hit 100 C at which point it will heavily throttle and jump back to 70 C.

My fans have been cleaned just 2 days back and thermal paste has been re-applied so I don’t think that is the issue.

I found this thread where the person’s solution was the lower the maximum allowed frequency. I’ll try that and update this thread later.

One of the comments there mentioned that this is due to linux not having ‘Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework.’. Is there any way to get that running on linux?

Edit: I also found an application called ‘thermald’ which is stated to do the same thing. Can anyone here tell me if this works on fedora? and how do I install it since I can only see a debian page for it

1 Like
sudo dnf info thermald

Name         : thermald
Version      : 2.4.6
Release      : 1.fc34
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 235 k
Source       : thermald-2.4.6-1.fc34.src.rpm
Repository   : updates
Summary      : Thermal Management daemon
URL          : https://github.com/intel/thermal_daemon
License      : GPLv2
Description  : thermald monitors and controls platform temperature.
             : 
             : Thermal issues are important to handle proactively to reduce
             : performance impact.  thermald uses the existing Linux kernel
             : infrastructure and can be easily enhanced.

If it is listed it will work somehow.
Install it with sudo dnf install thermald and for more details check man thermald

This might be helpful too:
Services and Daemons :: Fedora Docs

the man command lists that I should install dptfextract with thermald. I installed it through dnf but I don’t understand how to use it

so it turns out I already had thermald but what I needed was to install and run dptfextract

installation was just done through dnf and I just had to run it through the terminal(file location and name)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.