What are Fedora devs and Fedora Council's goals for Fedora Workstation edition?

I keep reading that Fedora (Workstation) is a “testing grounds” for software to be introduced to RHEL. Is this the main goal of Fedora developers & the Fedora council: to create an open-source OS to have potential developers contribute to FOSS projects? If so, are there any other goals for Workstation? If not, what do they hope to accomplish with Fedora Workstation, and/or which userbase are they intending to reach out to with it?

1 Like

Hello @jeduri, some good questions there, I’ll try to answer, in my own way.

I believe the main goal of the Fedora Workstation working group is to provide a complete usable desktop solution that employs leading edge (near bleeding edge in some cases) technology that may later make it’s way into RHEL if desired, and of course is stable enough. Officially, you can check this out here.

1 Like

This is not the goal of the community. Yes, because packages get to Fedora first, and Fedora has a much shorter lifecycle than RHEL/Scientific/CentOS, they all benefit from the work that goes into Fedora. Perhaps, this is by design, and is one of the reasons why RedHat sponsor Fedora, but Fedora community volunteers are not expected to actively do anything that specifically benefits RHEL. I’ve been a community member as a package maintainer for 10 years now, and I must’ve maintained fewer than 5 packages for RHEL, for example. Most of them were related to askbot too.

This is Fedora’s mission, yes.

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/#_what_is_fedora_all_about

The tools that Fedora makes are a means to spread FOSS. One has to be a user before turning into a contributor. @jakfrost has already summarised the goal of the workstation in their answer.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation

I’ve just noticed that their primary mission does say it’s focussed to more tech oriented people. Whether or not this is still the case will need to be discussed with them using their communication channels listed there.

2 Likes