What if Btrfs does not do well

I am seriously considering converting my three computers to Btrfs by having a fresh installation of Fedora 33. However, I heard people saying that using Btrfs on Fedora is Red Hat’s experiment. If Btrfs does not do well, Fedora may try something else. Is it possible that Fedora drops Btrfs if it does not do well?

Please note that Btrfs has “always” been there also on previous Fedora releases.
If you opt for Custom partitioning, Anaconda, the installer, offers to format your disk as Btrfs also on F32 and F31 (and previous).
What has changed on F33 is that if you select Automatic partitioning, the disk will be formatted as Btrfs instead of LVM+ext4.

8 Likes

Sometimes it is better to experiment on a feature by yourself and formulate an empirical opinion than to go by rumours. Be the scientist! Try it out … then report what you experience

8 Likes

Also note that, if btrfs does not turn out well for you, you can always make snapshots, send them to external storage, reformat your disks and filesystems, and copy everything back. There is nothing about the files on btrfs that makes them magically incompatible with other filesystems.

However, I have been using btrfs for well more than six years, so, IMO, the above will not become necessary. btrfs is the filesystem for the future. Major improvements are made to it with each kernel release, so it is getting better and better.

6 Likes

I was using btrfs for years on Arch Linux and never had an issue, so I was sad when I realised that Silverblue had ext4 as default (since the Silverblue installer barely even worked in earlier versions, and only with automatic/default setup, I was stuck with it). For å distro like fedora, btrfs just makes sense. I’m happy to (soon) be back.

7 Likes

btrfs support is in the mainline linux kernel. Even if Fedora made it not the default filesystem in the future, I can’t imagine they would actually disable support for it altogether.

2 Likes