What is the best way to use wireguard vpn with fedora 37?

i have been using the terminal quick up and quick down commands, i heard there was a better way todo this in 37

you mean NetworkManager?

or what was it that heard about? And where?

1 Like
  1. Where did you hear it?

2. Are you a paid customer of a commercial VPN service provider such as NordVPN, ExpressVPN, etc? If yes, you should contact their customer support staff. They are obliged to solve whatever issues you may have, no?

If you are unhappy about their support, just terminate your subscription and move on to another VPN service provider, yes? You might also like to post your feedback about your unpleasant experience in one of the forums that you find on the internet.

1. For a community-based support of Wireguard, you may like to visit this sub-forum. Wireguard’s developer does visit it from time to time.

There are several ways in Fedora to setup wireguard. There is the bare metal with ip link, ip address and co. Not that easy Then there are wg-quick and NetworkManager. The NetworkManager gui is moreorless a GUI variant of wg-quick config files. wg-quick offers the possibility to run up/down scripts. I did not check it already, but I assume with NetworkManager you can implement this with scripts in the standard dispacther.d folder. As usual, you can autostart connections with Networkmanager, or start them easily from nm-applet and variants.

What I like in wg-quick is that you can enter comments in the conf file. I’m sorry to have to admit that I’m not very good in remembering a system by it’s public key,
I can be short about the systemd services: they just call wg-quick, so if you want to have a connection up after boot, just “systemctl enable wg-quick@wg…”. . Personal preference: wg-quick.
Added:
Tested: Bringing up a Wireguard connection in NetworkManager triggers scripts in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d, so that’s the place for the up-down scripts. Even more: bringing up a Wireguard connection with wg-quick triggers the NetworkManager scripts too. (and activates the nm-applet VPN symbol). So during testing be aware of executing things twice.