What VPN clients would you recommend for for Fedora?

Hi! Would you recommend some VPN clients for Fedora?
OpenVPN, SoftEther or StrongsWAN? Which one is better?

Frankly speaking I would like to have something easy in use as https://www.vpnunlimitedapp.com/en i have for my iphone

1 Like

I personally use Private Internet Access ā€” or ā€œPIAā€. To be honest, I havenā€™t really shopped around; the company sponsors a number of free software / open source projects and events, including Freenode and GNOME, so seemed the natural choice.

I didnā€™t bother with any fancy client software ā€” I just followed the instructions to set up for Fedora and now itā€™s an option on the network menu. (Thereā€™s also a Firefox plugin which I tested and which also seems to work.)

1 Like

Personally, I use Mullvad. Very focused on privacy (you donā€™t even give them your email & they generate a random account number for you to use), and their client was really easy to install and use.

ProtonVPN is pretty nice, has a linux client that works well, and offers a decent basic free tier of their service.

5 Likes

What question are you really asking? Do you want to know what protocol is ā€œbetterā€ or what ā€œservice providerā€ is recommended?

You mention ā€œKeepSolid VPN Unlimitedā€. In looking at their website they tell you ā€œWe use the OpenVPN protocol on Android and Windows platformsā€.

Frankly, since they use OpenVPN they should be able and willing to provide their customers with *.ovpn configuration files that could easily be imported into NetworkManager. No need to use a ā€œspecialā€ client.

The VPN service provider that I use does so. One click and I get connected.

2 Likes

ProtonVPN also supports OpenVPN, but they recommend their own client which they developed due to privacy (eg. DNS) leaks when using OpenVPN.

2 Likes

I personally recommend openvpn. I think it can be applied to various platforms and has excellent stability.
@ramimalts Have a nice dayā€¦!!

1 Like

I rarely use a VPN, but when I do, I use networkmanager (OpenVPN) for the client and connect to protonvpn.

Iā€™ve heard that cloudflare is developing a VPN though, so Iā€™ve got my eye on how that develops.

1 Like

I use OpenVPN. It hasnā€™t given me any trouble and itā€™s well maintained, so I stick with it.

1 Like

I use Mullvad with Wireguard.

1 Like

Weel, that depends so much on what you need, and what your networking experience and Linux experience is. And what the other side offers.

Usually iā€™d say, openvpn. Why? Because itā€™s somewhat easyer to setup and manage.
Strongswap / openswan are IPSec implementations. You choose one if you need ipsec, used both, essentially the same. They are faster thatn openvpn, but can be a hassle to correctly setup.

The wireguard implementation in Networkmanager is halve-arsed, and not good to go.
Than there is the ā€˜new kid on the blockā€™ā€¦ Wireguard. Blazing fast, terrible easy. Lives in the kernel as module. I use it now now a couple of weeks for a ā€˜pernament onā€™ vp on my laptop and phones, an works bountiful. Note that it is not finished yet, there are rough edges. I really recommend this one, with the side not that its new and shinehā€¦

edit: If you use openvpn/strongswan/cisco/wahtever supperted by NetworkManager, use NetworkManager.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to second wireguard which has been pretty hassle-free so far in combination with two providers, mullvad and azirevpn as well as standalone (point-to-point).

I usually use the wg-quick commandline scripts and stopped bothering about network-manager which I am not the biggest fan of.