Who Remembers What a LUG is?

This may reveal my age within a decade or so of accuracy, but I am curious if our fellow Fedora Community Members remember what a “LUG” is?

The thought has crossed my mind to reinvent the concept and start a “LUG” (locally). It may be an old concept, but it was the master plan that put Linus’ work out there. The LUG pulled me away from W3.11, it wrenched my heart and pulled me away from OS2Warp, (I briefly and regretably looked at W95 and detested all its grandchildren).

So I am curious, who remembers what a “LUG” is? I think we’ve pulled away a little bit too far away from that concept. (mind you so has real life in many venues)

Regards,
BUzz…

1 Like

LUGs are still around.
I think there’s even a few lists of LUGs and their locations that are still maintained.
They can be hard to find, depending on where you are though.

I really want to go to one, but the closest one to me, isn’t really “close”. And staring my own in such a random, out of the way, place seems like a stretch.

What’s kind of interesting in my case though is that, after trying Fedora for the first time a few years ago, it’s what really got me back into Linux. And not just “back into it” but absolutely fascinated with everything about it and its community. That fascination is the only real reason I know about LUGs.

I’d honestly love to see more work going into LUGs, and see them get big in the community as a whole again. I know they were big in the past, but I kind of missed the boat on that.

I remember LUGs and went to a very active LUG once upon a time, but I have moved twice since that time. LUGs were friendly communities where you could find fellow enthusiasts who could help you get Linux installed and running on your hardware. I remember hauling my CRT monitor and desktop tower from the car in two trips up the stairs to the meeting room of a small technical college where we had space to meet once a month on a Saturday. This was in the early 2000’s.

I believe that now might be a great time to bring LUGs back. With Internet connectivity you can find “virtual LUGs” online, but there is still something special about meeting up in person. One of the hosts of the podcast https://destinationlinux.org/, Ryan, started a LUG or Meet up in northern Georgia that meets once a month and quickly outgrew their coffee shop space, and now meet in a large office area of a local business. My favorite online or “virtual LUG” is the community at https://bigdaddylinux.com/.

I would like to encourage you, @buzzbuilder to try starting a LUG and see what happens. You could use a site like https://gettogether.community/ kind of a free version of meetup.com that would let you get the word out to other Linux enthusiasts. I’m considering starting a LUG myself at our local library. They have a community room that you reserve, and you can have your meetings there for free. We live in a very small town, but an interested couple started a Guitar/Stringed Instrument meetup at the Library and it has grown into an active group that meets monthly. I think we probably could gather a similar amount of interest with a LUG meeting in the same space.

Starting one
It is about time too