Why does Fedora have such poor support on Google Cloud?

Is there an issue with Google or Red Hat or Both?

1 Like

Hi,

I appreciate the answer, but it was actually more of a statement than a question. I am a seasoned linux admin and have used fedora since day 1. And admin RHEL currently in a large enterprise. I have used Fedora on Google Cloud since F28. Business involves more than RHEL and Centos. Fedora is the front line to RHEL and its missing the boat on cloud computing. Running Fedora in the cloud needs to be a procedure just like debian or many other distors on AWS or Google Cloud. The problem here is not a lack of community commitment or time or competence. Its either a lack of vision or politics on the part of one or both of these companies. Going through hoops to upload images and hope that google-* packages all function correctly and ssh keys work Its hurting Fedora.

1 Like

The problem is Fedora has no LTS releases which corporate-level support can be applied for.
Typically this position is served by CentOS, which can be seen as the closest option to Fedora LTS.

Well I’m totally in agreement with you that the LTS position is served by CentOS. However this is not the point. What is available to the masses gains in popularity. The masses can install debian in the cloud and will then stick with debian. I have nothing against debian; its awesome. However it is a mistake to think that Fedora is ok for hardware but not ok for the cloud. This is nothing to do with LTS, and corporate level support. Running stuff in the cloud is for everyone not just Corp inc. IBM OS/2 died not out of any technical inferiority. It died because IBM didn’t know how to promote it. Nice to see Fedora on a laptop. Nicer to see it available for people to install in the cloud, and then use familiar tools as they move to CentOS or Red Hat. This is what Fedora is for. An entry point for Red Hat. That is no reason to deny it a prominent spot on Google Cloud. Just like on hardware if you want LTS then install RHEL. If you want an awesome cutting edge distro then install Fedora.

1 Like

I guess it’s difficult to promote a product that only has 13 months of support.
In theory, we can claim system upgrade as a method to prolong support, but it’s not that simple.
It requires active actions, may sometimes fail, and can result in workflow-breaking changes.
A rational customer would likely prefer much longer support to some new features.

Just forget customers and LTS. It’s about Fedora and the many Fedora users that choose Fedora because it is awesome and they don’t need or care about LTS! This is rather about making Fedora available where people (not Exxon and JPMorgan) can use it. Otherwise as I previously mentioned people (Not LTS customers) will gravitate to debian and Ubuntu. And then when they get a job at JPMorgan they will use Ubuntu. And Fedora will suffer. And Red Hat will hurt. Fedora need to be available in the cloud.

I guess your position is Fedora belongs on old PC’s from old farts with cd roms. And the cloud belongs to Ubuntu.

Otherwise I have installed Fedora coreos and Fedora 34 in a container on Google Cloud. This is super but not for the inexperienced user.

1 Like

Most likely Google aims at medium to large businesses and doesn’t care that much about individuals.
On the other hand, services like Linode actually provide Fedora as an option for their VMs.

2 Likes

Using Fedora I’ve just downloaded files from Microsoft OneDrive to Google Drive editing documents with Google Docs all in standard Chromium browser with Office extension converting them to Google format from doc.x … It has nothing to do about operating systems but connecting Cloud functionalities with limited download data. The only thing you need is valid accounts and goodwill of service providers about client software and hardware.

It’s not about politics or short sighted vision. If you’re running a production environment, weather it’s VMs or containers, you want something that’s updated and stable so you would use RHEL. Fedora is bleeding edge and if you use it in production, there’s a good chance you’ll update it and it breaks your application. That’s where it fits into the Redhat family:

Its already a given we are not talking about a production environment. If you read the preceding comments i had to repeat this several times. Did you get the point that I already manage rhel boxes running financials for many years. Did you also read that I am a Fedora user since day 1. A post showing the relationship between Fedora rhel and Centos is unnecessary. Fedora needs to be accessible in the cloud for any Fedora user who wishes to choose it. Please don’t mention production or LTS. It’s not the point.

Ok. Your credentials are fine, I work for a large enterprise too. As for Fedora on Google Cloud, Redhat often works out deals with them as they’ve done with MS on Azure to bring their enterprise software to those clouds. They probably don’t want to bring Fedora because:

1. They don’t want their own products competing with each other.
  2. The rapid development of Fedora would likely need a more rapid pipeline and move development resources to keep it supported on those clouds.
  3. The smaller cloud providers that provide to smaller customers, like Linode as @vgaetera said, or Digital Ocean do offer Fedora.
1 Like

I don’t know who “controls” this, but if you’re up to working on this, you can always reach out to the Fedora council or the developer community to see how this can be done (or why it cannot be done).

https://pagure.io/Fedora-Council/tickets/issues

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/

I think we can discuss it here, but a user focussed forum is perhaps not the best place to make any headway on this topic.

I’d also request everyone here to re-read your responses before you post them. Some of them are tending towards a less friendly tone that what we’d like in the community. Please revise the code of conduct and ensure that you are calm before you hit the reply button:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/

1 Like

Alphabet LLC (Google) doesn’t publish a Google Drive app for Linux whatever distribution you use … Chromium browser or Google Chrome downloading it or adding their repository following simple instructions. After you connect to Google ecosystem with your credentials to connect to any app and service. You can also use Chromium extensions for Google apps and services, Microsoft Office to access OneDrive or use Microsoft Edge on Fedora or RHEL.
On Windows, you connect to OneDrive with option everything in the Cloud making local backups useless. File Explorer still keeps local storage as you can navigate to C:/Users/your account with same named default folders that you pin to Quick Access … Cloud/Local in the same window. Frequently accessed files always stay in local storage in dedicated OneDrive folder.
Linux has the same configuration but not automatic, you access Cloud files in browser using browser tools like Google Docs or Microsoft Word Online leaving possibility to download on local device. You can print Cloud files but editing them on local storage needs local installed apps. The same thing for Windows, Chromebook or Linux device …
Linux has many high end features used on data centers to explore … Fedora/RHEL : podman, OpenShift, … Fedora poor support => explore!