Why i switched to Linux? and why i choose Fedora!

I was windows user since win98 days, i had used each n every new release of windows, (even vista & win8)

The reason i switched to linux was, with latest release of windows 10, my pc becomes so slow (even with the clean win10 install)

But i was still using it,
when Microsoft announced windows 11,

And i found windows 11 is not going to support my pc

I started to think i should switch to linux,

One day i watched gnome 40 trailer on YouTube

I really liked futuristic visual interface of gnome 40

I visit their website , it says gnome 40 works well with fedora 34

So i installed fedora 34

Which is litespeed faster than win10.

i just loved fedora 34,

thank you all fedora developers for such amazing OS.

love from india :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I switched to Linux after completing TestOut Linux Pro, and I love it.

Linux is so much faster than windows, Ext4 is much faster than NTFS, and updating is also much faster and less problem prone than windows. Linux is also FREE, windows $100 +. Microsoft also wants to force you to connect a Microsoft account to your computer. Windows also takes up like 22GB to install Fedora takes ~8-10GB to install. Upgrading a Linux PC also goes a lot smoother compared to a windows upgrade.

The only sad thing about it is that hardware venders don’t make drivers for it, they only make drivers for windows or mac. I feel that there should be more support for Linux from hardware venders. Yes I know that when it comes to desktop users only like 1% use Linux, but I feel that us 1% should still get to use the same hardware that others can use. Just because we use Linux does not mean that we can’t go the store and buy some new device to connect to our computers. But what good is it if we go and buy a nice new audio system just to find out that it only works with windows? The people who made the audio system still get our money, but we can’t use the product that we bought!? I don’t see why the companies can’t make drivers for Linux. Linux is open source so it should not be that hard, and when they make the driver they should not have to worry as much about having it break with every new Linux kernel as they would with every new windows version so there should not be that much work on their part. I would also just like to point out that even though only 1% of desktop PCs run Linux, Linux runs EVERY thing else, and without Linux there would be no windows or smart devices.

Try BTRFS instead of ext4,
Basically btrfs>ext4>ntfs

Thanx

From what I read BTRFS does not seem like it would be very SSD friendly.
It seems more like something you might use on a HDD. The file sizes with BTRFS also seemed like they would be larger than ext4.

This isn’t as much of an issue as it seems to be. If the hardware’s mainstream, Linux support is already baked into the kernel. It’s only with bleeding edge hardware that it’s an issue.

True, but some hardware has features that can only be unlocked with software that only runs on windows or mac. I don’t think you can make that stuff work with WINE.

What makes you say that. Btrfs is no different than ext4 in the usage of drives as far as access and file sizes. It is only the underlying structure that is different and it does not care if the drive is digital or spinning rust. All are handled the same.

1 Like

The question is more subtle … Linux is a simple update of UNIX with BSD licence, a spin off of MULTICS being a military Pentagon program, Windows NT comes from VMS by DEC with development by OpenVMS aiming to x64 support. Windows NT doesn’t fit in Docker container needing something else. This all leads to a simple device : PDS-11 … are we moving?

Podman, OpenShift are RHEL projects …