Why you chose Linux and Specially Fedora

Right thing away I am opening up a topic just to know about why you guys started using linux…

Today I have completed my 2 years of experience of using linux and one year in fedora… Sadly I am still not less than a fresh beginner… Keeping those things aside I personally started linux to learn technical stuff and get familiar to a lot of linux users and #linux community … And wait I also got in cuz in windows You’ve got to install pirated antivirus software which in turn seems to be a virus. :joy:… I’ve got a lot of happiness while using linux and specifically fedora cuz the gnome out of the box and cleanest environment on fedora confined to to fedora-workstation…

What’s your reason

1. For using linux
    2 Choosing Fedora…

This is just a kind of survey which I personally wanted to learn about…
Have a great days ahead… :tada: :tada: :blush: :blush:

4 Likes
  1. While an update of windows 7 my system got broken. I had to wait a week till Microsoft made it possible to make my system reusable without new installation. This gave me the reason to switch totally to Linux. Before i already made some experience with unix and after with different linux distros. Being independent to choose my OS.

2. Because i wanted be upfront with new technologies alias using newest kernels. Also because it is quite secure. And I heard the community is great :smiley:.

3 Likes

Why I choose Linux?

Even though I’m in the realm of administration rather than development, I like the concept behind software where which you can see and potentially alter the source to fit your needs. Also, there a bit of technical discovery for me within the realm of Linux that seems interesting.

I’m not a person that hates or loves particular operating systems, and I’m a firm believer in using the right tool for the job. My first chose for said tool is something open source, which Linux distributions meet that desire. Also, professionally, I think it’s wise for me to have some working knowledge of a variety of operating systems, so exploring different distributions of Linux allows for more learning.

Why Fedora?

I don’t have a good answer for this, so I’ll give some pieces of information that might one day be a coherent answer. From a training perspective, I’ve chosen, at least for now, the path of Red Hat, so I’m attracted to using its upstream entity, Fedora. Also, a couple of years ago when I decided to run Linux on my daily driver laptop, my gateway in was Korora; thus, when Korora was no more it made sense for me to move into using Fedora.

Despite the above, I do distro hop back and forth with Pop_OS, as there are many aspects of it, which I enjoy. I do often end up “coming home” to Fedora though.

3 Likes
  1. It offers freedom and control for all your needs. You can do almost erverything on it, playing windows games, making it a server and so on (well, except playing bluerays but that’s not Linux’s fault). It is transparent, since Linux dosen’t hide everything from you like Microsoft. Long story short, Linux simply is awesome.

2. Fedora is quite up-to-date regarding kernel and software and I belive they do a very good job delivering a stable and usable distribution. I personally like the whole redhat branch, its tools and customisability. Feels more professional to me than other distributions.

4 Likes
  1. In a college course we were recommended to install Linux so that we could practice programming at home. And then I wanted to see other distros and ended up removing Windows. Why? No specific cause. But I ended up staying for the world of free software. I don’t have money to buy myself, for example, after efect … in WIndows you always end up doing things wrong. Unfortunately, you can’t always donate, but using free software to grow and then back up seems wonderful to me.

2. I think I use Fedora because, as last year we were in a pandemic, many of the meetings that the fedora team did were uploaded to YouTube, which seems to me that doing so brought the project to a lot more people. And I ended up fond of Fedora.

Not everything is always perfect but to be the “garden of innovation” the software has to be tested and the truth is that I can’t get angry

5 Likes
  1. felt in love with unix-like OS’s (beginning 1990)
  2. Fedora is (was (?) long time) the alone current distro (kernel, …). I started with RH 6.x .
2 Likes
  1. Privacy, Security, FOSS-philosophy (in order of priority).
  2. Qubes OS doesn’t work on my laptop, so I made a consciously organised distro-hopping session in VM’s (Mint, Debian, Ubuntu, Arch, OpenSUSE, PopOS, MX Linux, …) and used lynis audit software to measure security: Fedora came on top with default settings.
6 Likes

I started using Linux because of the free software aspect of it. Once upon a time I was in the process of interviewing with an employer who corresponded with me via MS Office Word, and I didn’t have that program available. It occurred to me that the situation was for the birds – why write stuff your audience cannot decode? I got through with workarounds, but it left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway, I used Ubuntu for a year or so, and then went to Mint. But I finally found a home in Fedora. It’s a real honor to participate in the upstream development platform (I’m not a developer). But I just participated in testing kernel 5.11. I also had some (uncommonly happens) problems a few weeks ago with my graphics and, well, we solved it and because of it, that’s one problem the downstream folks won’t be having. Very cool. Neat things to get involved in, and a great, supportive community. Have fun!

3 Likes
  1. Back in my younger Navy days I got to work on some Unix based systems and I really enjoyed it. That carried through to what I do now. Mostly I just like tinkering and learning stuff.
  2. Initially because we use RHEL at work and it was similar enough to start tinkering with SELINUX and a few other things. I’ve grown to enjoy the community and seem to always learn something hanging around here or discussion.fedoraproject.org.
6 Likes
  1. I started back in the early days of M$ with DOS and its various flavors, used a TRS80 in the navy, then all the flavors of windows until win95. Early 90s was in college and using unix system to learn programming when I heard of linux. In 92 I started with RedHat (it was free in those days) and stayed until they branched off fedora and have stayed ever since.
    I still have windows because some of my medical devices can only be connected to windows to upload the logs online, but that is only once or twice a month for an hour each time.

2. I still use fedora as my daily driver because it has always been stable, flexible, and up to date with ease of software installation and upgrading with each new release. Although I occasionally try another just to keep up with the differences.

4 Likes

Linux:
It really started when I was in college. I discovered a school desktop during my work study that had a thing called Linux Mint on it. Before that I had really only known about Windows or Mac. I was very curious about it and started digging into what this Linux Mint thing was. It didn’t take long after that before I became what my wife would call “obsessed” with it. I don’t think it was even a full year before my main computers were running Linux Mint.

Fedora:
Some years after using Linux Mint on everything I could, I began to explore other linux distributions. I had grown a bit tired of the ppa madness and constantly just barely out of date libraries for what I wanted to do. I discovered Fedora and its various flavors in this “distro hopping” phase. The reason it really stuck with me, and why it is now the main operating system I go to, is that it was as up to date as I needed with a good focus for development, but still usable for general purpose without hassle (for my wife). It has a really great balance and philosophy on free software that I really believe in as well.

3 Likes
  1. Linux:

I’d been interested in Linux for a long time but never really had a true reason to dive in, as I was gaming quite a bit and required some Windows only tools for a few of my College courses. Anyway, about 5 years ago, after I graduated, I was unemployed, and decided to jump into using Linux as my daily OS as I had more time on my hands and no longer really required Windows outside of a few games.

There’s a lot of things I love about Linux in general but here are a few that stick out: The ability to configure and customize my system the way I wish in terms of window management and operating system behaviour, package management, security & update stability, and more. It’s also a much better environment for me to develop, work with VMs & containers, etc.

I’ve distro hopped a little, but used Arch for the majority of time as my primary OS. I started using Fedora 33 about 2 months ago after being back on Windows for a short period of time, and ran into a lot of issues with my workflow and desired behaviour.

1.Fedora:

The thing sI love most about Fedora is that it’s much more up to date than the other release-based distributions, it’s secure & stable (for the most part), and has a nice installer. It’s a great distro when you want/need much newer packages than the competitors, without some of the difficulties of something like Arch.

4 Likes

Started with Linux in early high-school years simply because of curiosity. It was in 2003. My first distro was Slackware and I was actually blown away because I could tinker with my system (brake it and fix it without reinstall), customize it, adapt it for my needs etc. I used Linux exclusively all the way to 2013.

Fedora - my first Fedora was 9. After using Slackware for quite long time, I had distro-hopping phase and actually wanted to see what is well-known Red Hat all about. I used 9 and 10 (the coolest Fedora wallpaper still) later for approx. 1,5 years. Then switched to Gentoo (because I was at college with incredible amount of free time). Then I had period off Linux from 2013 to June 2020.

The reason I came to back to Fedora is simple - it was the only of the live distros I tried on brand new PC tower that actually did not have screen tearing issues and everything worked out of the box. It was an easy fix, but because of work and baby boy, I just did not want to lose quite limited free time tinkering and fiddling with my system. Unfortunately (I guess it is unfortunate) - tinkering and tweaking is behind me.

The reasons I like Fedora in general:

• it is highly innovative and progressive;
  • great documentation;
  • great community;
  • secure and up-to-date;
  • release and update policy is actually the most sane I know of (does not get stalled quickly and it is not rolling release);
  • Red Hat backed (although I’m not crazy about “corporate” aspect it, it is great to know that there is huge team of paid professionals behind it and not 3-5 core developers with community contributors).
5 Likes

I started using Linux and of curiosity but mostly because it felt more natural to use with the web development tools available at the time. On the beginning I used to run a Debian VM on Windows, I also tried WSL 1 at the time, it all felt too clunky so I used Windows for gaming only and eventually I just got annoyed by having to dual boot and switched completly to Ubuntu.

As for Fedora, I didn’t like the way Ubuntu was going for desktop, it relies too much on Snaps/Flatpaks because of the nightmarish number of LTS releases they need to maintain, making it considerably out of date regarding new tech and app releases. I was also interested in trying a more vanilla distro. So Fedora ticked all of the boxes: Updates packages more frequently, doesn’t rely on containers, vanilla.

5 Likes
  1. I wanted to keep old hardware usable. Linux gives me the flexibility to try so many different aspects to technology without the price tag of needing proprietary software or the newer hardware to run it. Yesterday for Pi day I was setting up a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+ to act as a remote/offsite back up server for my most important work files. Windows won’t run on that. We have a home server running Fedora on an old Dell Optiplex with Syncthing, a cron job script that downloads the Bing picture of the day in two different resolutions, and a personal website that displays the Bing picture of the day and keeps an archive too for great wallpapers. I’m testing a CRM for work that is running on an old work laptop now turned into a server where we can host the webapp locally on our LAN for internal use. I keep another old work laptop in use as a presentation computer hooked up to a projector that gets used every week instead of filling a landfill. I’m typing this on a Fedora workstation that I built from a 17" laptop that had a broken screen, so I removed the screen and hooked it up to an external 32" monitor.

2. I enjoy Fedora because of the stability and freshness of packages that they have been able to achieve, but mostly I stay on Fedora because of the positive and helpful community. I have found other distros that have been good to me as well. I have installs of MX Linux, RaspberryOS, Ubuntu-Mate, and Debian Stable besides my Fedora installs that I use every week.

3 Likes

At beginning of use I was like it’s name, logo, color scheme, and wallpapers.

1 Like

Reason for choosing Linux

1. Free and Open source
  2. Secure
  3. Importance given for privacy.

Reason for choosing fedora

1. Innovative and up to date technology is given
  2. Fantastic community
  3. Independent project
    I have tried Ubuntu, Zorin, Manajro, Debian, Mint, elementary, Pop OS every time I come back to fedora and it is super good.
4 Likes

Rasons to use linux;

The lack of bloat.
My computer is my computer again.
unix like file structure.
a lot of free software apps are actually great.

I chose linux because I like the command line, and my wifi drivers were finicky at best in windows, so I was wondering if linux would help. Linux also seemed to be the preferred choice for some of my astrophotography programs.

I chose Fedora because I really liked POP!_OS, but needed something more cutting-edge. I went with fedora because it is

• Open Source
  • Free
  • Stable
  • Easier than, say, arch

cuz i like tux with the hat

1 Like