Why yum is still in use when dnf is there?

Disclaimer: With no disrespect to legacy yum, this is just a curiosity to know how things evolve.

I ran an update command today in Fedora 34 and saw yum package update. So I was wondering with these thoughts/questions:

• Do we still need it when we have DNF?
  • Why it is shipped by default even in newer Fedora releases?
  • Is yum is going to be left out completely out in future releases?
  • Is yum still actively maintained and developed?
  • Will there be any side effects to uninstalling yum? Is it a bad idea to do so?

Thank you for your time reading and answering these in question.

2 Likes

Changes/Retire YUM 3 - Fedora Project Wiki, happened in F31.
Yum is a sub-package of the dnf package that is basically an alias to dnf.
If you check you’ll see that /usr/bin/yum is a link to dnf-3. ls -l $(which yum)

It was left for compatibility reasons. (short discussion here: Dnf vs yum in Fedora 31 - Desktop - Fedora Discussion)

11 Likes

Oh, thanks for the link.

One last question: This also means I have might unknowingly install yum, right?

Yum is installed, but the package only contains the softlink to dnf and the man page.

You can query file info from packages by: sudo dnf rq -l <package_name>

You can also review the spec file to see what is installed here

You can do this for any of the rpm packages that come from the Fedora repositories.

2 Likes

YUM commands stay only for those who don’t want to change …

2 Likes

Your previous comment was more informative. I wonder why you changed.

YUM is Yellow Dog Update Manager used for many distributions including ArcaOS based on OS/2, IBM AIX, IBM i, … As IBM has moved to Red Hat in 2019 using the providers Dandified YUM update introduced in Fedora 18 in September 2016, YUM commands stay only for old school users that don’t want to change …

When I saw the word Dog, I thought you were kidding. After a google search, I laugh. Devs running out of names I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

2 Likes

I’m interested in many things : history going back thousands of years, AI and ML focusing on the maths behind looking at unsupervised ways and means with C++ 20 and beyond …
I changed as cornered between Red Hat and Debian, Alien and Linux Standard Base tried to normalize, using Microsoft software they prefer Ubuntu LTS, Intel software for OpenVINO or Quartus using Intel FPGA also … I use RHEL and like and trust Fedora interested with the fusion with IBM using a Lenovo ThinkPad laptop among other devices … I’m not interested in free software, only open source using high level operating system used in many very high level devices … used for everyday tasks for free … the world is fantastic!!!

1 Like

I changed because dnf works above the level of yum and pulls in dependencies whereas yum merely told you there was a dependency needed but did not act on that need. Lots more flexibility.

2 Likes

What? Since when did yum not handle dependencies. That was entirely the point of yum. I think you are referring to rpm, not yum. RPM tells you about dependency problems without resolving them by itself. But it was for that reason that yum was created, and it did it just fine.

I don’t doubt that dnf is better than yum in some way, but it’s patently false to say that yum doesn’t resolve dependencies!

2 Likes

And why are you taking credit for what @marko commented? lol

Red Hat and Debian are the two oldest active distributions launched in 1993, linux first released in 1991. They use respectively .rpm and .deb package format using RPM and APT package managers, still used today. RPM package manager is a complicated tool updating to YUM then DNF as more user friendly. Open a console and type ‘man rpm’ … you will be surprised by the number of features still implemented today. Explore Red Hat Enterprise Linux, all the services attached to it and IBM Cloud … Fedora is more than a simple cousin.

1 Like

Small nit… Use command -v, not which:

ls -l $(command -v yum)

command -v is Posix so it is portable. It also takes shell aliases into account, so it can help catch problems created in initialization files.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed anything new or better that merited the change from yum to dnf. But I wouldn’t dare disagree with the move. After all, yum was too easy to pronounce, and didn’t sound professional. And if nothing else, yum has existed and worked for a decade. So it’s definitely overdue for change. I’m kind of disappointed it didn’t become systemd-dnfd, assimilated into the beast.

1 Like