Window screenshots not confined to window anymore

I’ve used Alt+Print Screen for a long time and it always confined the screenshot to the exact size of the window in focus. Recently that is no longer the case: a certain border is visible around it.

Notice how my wallpaper/background is visible around the screenshot of the terminal window:

borders2

How can the original behavior be restored?

Perhaps unrelated, but I’ve noticed that for quite a while (since maybe Fedora 29?), the Connection Information window from Network Manager is not properly formed: it has a transparent area inside the right and bottom edges of the window:

Interestingly, the window screenshot for this dialog does not have the undesired border around it.

It looks more like a theme issue (edit: or with the mate desktop spin)… I have tested in my fedora 30 with all default and could not reproduce your problem.

Try change the theme and check it. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for testing on your system. I switched through a bunch of different themes and was able to reproduce the issue with each one.

I have been using Arc-Darker theme with EvoPop icons for over a year, and this issue came up relatively recently.

I also created a new user account. With MATE’s default theme and no configuration, the window screenshot still has a border.

Hi fasulia;

You can check the config of package

> mate-screenshot

https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/1-mate-screenshot/

look into the option sudo mate-screenshot --effect=none you can read a bit more about it the link over.

I have installed package gnome-screenshot (i use gnome) and have 0 issue (as I had commented before).

You can also try to remove and reinstall this package.

I hope it can help you a bit more.

Thanks for the suggestions @xtym.

It turns out this is a confirmed bug in MATE. Invisible borders were recently added to make it easier to resize windows, and the screenshot is capturing those invisible borders. https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-utils/issues/236

One workaround is to exclude window decorations, but it’s not an ideal solution.

2 Likes