X11 is used instead of Wayland / XWayland after installing nvidia (fedora 34)

When you install nvidia drivers on Fedora, the option to choose wayland gets disabled and that hasn’t changed as far as I know. Even with the new drivers. You need to enable the option manually.

On Fedora workstation you would do that by editing /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules and commenting out DRIVER="nvidia"... line. It’s just that everything under /usr/ folder is read-only in Silverblue.

I managed to enable wayland for my self when I noticed that there is a udev/rules.d/ folder under /etc and I remenbered that you can override default options that come with packages under /etc folder. So i copied that 61-gdm.rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d/, commented everything out except the
DRIVER=="nvidia", RUN+="/usr/libexec/gdm-runtime-config set daemon WaylandEnable false",
changed false to true at the end of the line and rebooted. Wayland was there in that little gdm menu for me to choose. I didn’t notice any side effects by doing this yet.

I am on wayland for a few days now and it runs good enough for me apart from a few electron apps.

5 Likes